Chapter Thirty-Seven

So this is one of the chapters I enjoyed writing most and I hope you'll all enjoy reading it too. 

I also wanted to thank clarinet120, JollyLass and katiehorse6 for responding so quickly to my request for help in the last chapter. And JollyLass in particular for replying so quickly to my questions. Your answers were very helpful!

Love,

Robin

-

When the first bang resounded through the house I scrambled to my feet and hurried to the door. There was a small crack to one side and I tried to peer through it to see what was going on. The guard was cursing but he still remained in front of the door.

What was that noise? It almost sounded like something very heavy slamming into a wall...

As I focused on the noises coming from above me I realized it sounded like fighting, real fighting going on up there. Was that Nathaniel and his people up there fighting the wolves?

My heartbeat sped up at the thought that they were trying to get me out of here. Worry making my stomach clench painfully, what if someone got hurt? Or worse! Got killed?

It didn't matter that I knew that it wasn't my fault for ending up here. Well not entirely at least, I should have fought harder. I felt horribly violated that Devon had managed to do so, that he'd gotten in to my head somehow and made me get in that bloody car against my own will.

Plaster rained down from the ceiling as another quake shook the building, grinding noises were heard from upstairs. It made my guard on the other side of the door curse loudly and then hurry up the stairs to investigate.

As far as I knew there were no fault lines nearby so a natural earthquake seemed very unlikely. What could have caused the quakes then? The thought of that gave me chills and I sincerely hoped it was Lysander in his dragon form.

More plaster fell from the ceiling and cracks appeared along the walls, hairline fractures near the door. The single light bulb above me flickered and then fell down with a crash, bathing the room in semi darkness.

If I didn't find a way to get out of here soon the ceiling might collapse on top of me, burying me alive. To emphasize that a really heavy bang rumbled through the building.

The shocks were coming harder and faster now and still shaking from the pain the Demon, my birthfather, had inflicted on me I had to struggle to remain standing. My breathing still came in short painful gasps because every movement inflicted another short burst of pain at the center of my throat.

Right at the word loyalty that the Demon had pierced with his sharp claw-like nail.

Just as I'd reached the door and started pushing and pulling in the hope the door had been weakened, I heard footsteps. It sounded like the muffled clicking of heels.

That could only mean one person and I climbed to my feet quickly, swaying in the process when it seemed like the entire building was shaking. If Jessica was coming back to either get me and hurt me or simply hurt me... I wouldn't go without a fight.

Spotting a jagged piece of concrete on the floor I picked it up and held it like a dagger, if need be I'd either stab her or knock her out. Either way I was going to try to get away from her if she was alone.

The bars in front of the door slid away noisily at the same time a tearing noise echoed through the room. A crack appeared like a thin line right along the middle of the tiny basement chamber and I hurriedly stepped over it towards the door. If that crack widened I'd be better off near Jessica instead of trapped on the other side.