14: Three Simple Words

A/N: Hey y'all, I rejoined twitter recently and you can find me under the username anha101. If you'd like to ask me questions or talk to me then find me on twitter and/or ask.fm: anha101 is my username for both social medias! 

Since the next chapter will be a VERY long chapter (7K words) I'll be updating next Friday so that means there will be no update on Tuesday. 

The chapter title can be a possible reference to two scenes in this chapter. Can you spot which exactly the title reference is to? ;)

ENJOY!

I felt a warm touch shake me awake from my temporary blissful oblivion

I felt a warm touch shake me awake from my temporary blissful oblivion. I opened my eyes and immediately shut them as pain sizzled through my head. Rubbing my temples, I slowly peeled my eyes open and once they adjusted, I saw Finn crouching down in front of me, his face a mask of concern.

"Mads?"

I breathed heavily. "My head is killing me," I groaned.

"You had too much to drink," he observed, taking my hand in his.

"Mhm," I agreed, my mind still groggy from my brief sleep. "You didn't stop me."

"How could I when you avoided me the entire night?" he laughed, but when my eyes focused on him I could see that there was an inkling of sadness lingering on his features.

"I didn't avoid you," I objected. "I had other things on my mind."

"Like Bruce?"

"How did you know?"

"One would have to be deaf not to hear the argument coming from your room across this floor," he replied, smiling soothingly.

A lump rose to my throat. "I need to get some fresh air."

He nodded. "Let me just grab my jacket from my room, okay?"

"Could you get me one of yours if you have a spare? I'm not ready to go back into my room," I whispered, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Okay," he agreed, getting onto his feet and holding his hands out for me. I slipped mine into his, feeling the familiar planes of his hands beneath mine, before he helped me get onto my feet. A shot of dizziness took a whirl and once I steadied on my feet I was suddenly aware of the proximity between us. Glancing up, I saw that the mistletoe was still there. My parents had made it a Christmas tradition to hang mistletoe on the doors of all the rooms.

He cleared his throat and stepped back, letting go of my hands. "You stand here. I'll go grab the jackets," he said, not looking at me.

His refusal to look at me made my heart twist and I mentally cursed myself because I should have just dismissed the small action and not actually be bothered by it. "All right," I nodded, "just be quiet. Riley is a light sleeper so don't make too much noise."