(i) bonus : A Broken Heart

A/N: Here's the bonus chapter I promised y'all! I'm sorry that it's a day late. I wasn't at home the entire of yesterday and I was too tired to post it once I got home. 

This is Bruce's bonus chapter and if you'd like to see a specific scene/chapter/characters, do comment your suggestions below. A bonus chapter featuring teen Riley Adair is in the works so keep your eyes peeled for an update ;) 

Bruce Vela was a lot of things but unaffectionate was not one of them.

He cared deeply about those that captured his heart and maybe that was what made him betray his better instincts—maybe that's what made him want to avoid conflicts so much so that he lied. Well, he didn't lie per se, but he hadn't completely been honest as he should have been.

That's what a healthy relationship needed—honesty. But the more he watched his girlfriend fall in love with other man, the more adamant he became to keep the skeletons locked in the wardrobe because there was only one way everything was going to end if he admitted the twisted truth to her—with them apart instead of together.

And that was exactly what had happened. He couldn't deny that he regretted being dishonest from the start but he had loved that woman with all of his heart. Perhaps if they started out honestly, with no barriers or hidden secrets between them, they would have worked out. They had for a while until their first fight. He had been a bit temperamental admittedly but he couldn't understand, at that point, why she had gotten so worked up over the fact that he was working on Saturday.

Bruce had an ego and so did Madilyn Adair and perhaps it was their ego, their ignorance, that caused a rive in their relationship. They got along well but simply as people—as friends. They didn't work as a couple. There were too many emotions, too many unhealthy kinks in their relationship. They were chaotic and both had refused to believe that until the day came when neither could live in the bubble of ignorance they had created.

He could also not deny that his heart still beat fondly for the woman—for the woman who had moved past him and accepted love back into her life in the form of Finn Jackson. He envied Finn, for he could be a superhero in Madilyn's eyes while Bruce could not. Bruce was not a villain—he was far from it—but he couldn't be a superhero. And at that moment when they were going out, Madilyn perhaps needed one and he wasn't that to her.

He had fallen in love with the image his biological mother, Elisabeth, created of Madilyn and when he had met her his feelings cemented. He had learnt that she wasn't all like the fairy tale Elisabeth had built for him but still, he couldn't help falling. Not because she was a wonderful mother, but because she had a beautiful laugh, a soft sweet smile, luscious hair that he loved to run his fingers through; that he loved to watch as she tossed it over her shoulder while her palm rested beneath her chin, her green eyes sparkled with mirth and her echoing laugh vibrating through his bones. He loved everything about her and he hated her too, for leading him on even when he had suspected that their relationship was to end rather than blossom further.