19: Little Family Complications

A/N: You'll either hate me or love me once you're through with this chapter ;)

/ dedicated to roibecca for all her support / 

Happy reading lovelies and don't forget to drop your thoughts off in the comment section! xo

I knew what I was doing was a worthless attempt but I did it anyway. I picked out a suit for Bruce, one of his best looking ones which was harder than I thought because he actually had a numerous number of good suits. When I settled for one, I wrote a quick note and placed it on top of the lapel of the blazer.

I know you said you couldn't make it, but if you do change your mind you should wear this – Hottie Maddie xo

I took a deep breath before I sat down on the bed and strapped on my five inch silver heels. They always killed me after a few hours of donning them on but these were my favourite pair of heels and they matched perfectly with my black dress.

Standing up and taking another look of myself in the mirror I couldn't help but smile deviously. The dress was short, brushing just below my knees, and the neckline was V-shaped, dipping down my chest. The neckline pulled up into a collar-style around the nape of my neck and it was long-sleeved. I could just picture Finn's expression when he saw me and it made my stomach tighten as if it were doing somersaults.

"Mum, you look perfect," Riley whined and I lifted my eyes and caught my son's annoyed gaze through the mirror. "Can we go now?"

I smiled and turned around. "Will you be my superhero and take me safely home if my shoes decide to kill me?" I asked, winking at him as I grabbed my silver-specked purse off my dressing table and made my way to Riley who was leaning against the doorframe of my room door.

"Those aren't shoes, Mum," he said seriously.

I rolled my eyes and lightly slapped his shoulder. "They're my favourite pair!"

"I don't understand why, but superheroes always save people who get into harm by doing foolish things in the first place so I'll be superhero tonight," Riley grinned up at me playfully.

His shabby hair was gelled and combed back so that he looked presentable. He was wearing a white shirt and a pair of black jeans because he didn't own any formal trousers and Finn bought a bow-tie for Riley despite my protests that I could do it myself. Apparently I didn't know how to tell one black bow-tie from the other.

"Mum?" Riley called out, tugging on the belt of my dress which came undone at his hard tug.

"What, Riley?" I exasperated, sighing before I held by purse between my legs and redid the belt, threading the soft black satin through my fingers before making a bow and tightening the dress around my hip.