The Love Story That Never Was

Prologue - Well, Here Goes Nothing!

“I love you.” I wasn’t lying.

“I know.” she smiled weakly at me. She knew what was coming. But how can I tell her? I know I love her, but being with her only pains her more. She knows I like Kara so much, I probably love her already. If not, how can my heart be in this dilemma?

“Claire…”

“No. You don’t have to say anything anymore…” She held my cheek with her gentle hands, her palm as smooth as silk. How can I stay when I know she deserves someone better? “…but… I don’t understand. Why?” her eyes were lining with tears now. Dear God, why? Why can’t I just fall so deep with Claire? Why can’t I want to be with her as much as I wanted to be with Kara?

“Claire…” I held her hand close to my heart. “I love you so much. This much that I can’t lie to you. I can’t bear to see you suffer silently.”

“You are so selfish.”

“If I stay, that would be a more selfish decision.”

“I will bear with it.”

“No, you are pretty…”

“Not pretty enough for you.”

“Witty…”

“Stupid to fall for you.”

“Funny…”

“I wish I was making myself laugh right now.”

“Talented.”

“But I can’t make you stay.”

“You are… the greatest woman I know. You deserve a greater guy than me. I am a jerk for letting this happen to us. I’m sorry, Claire.”

“They say, if you really love a person, set him free, but they also say that if you do love someone, never let him go. Lorenzo, I am so confused.”

“Literature has one too many faces. This is not the time to talk about that, Claire.”

“I wish we were just talking like that instead of having this confrontation. You know-”

“I know you hate confrontations, Claire. But this had to happen.”

Why did this have to happen anyway?