Chapter 4 - When it Rains, It Pours

It has been ten minutes of awkward silence now…

I have to give credit to Kara. It has been twenty five minutes and I haven’t heard her complain. If I were with the other girls, for sure they would be ranting right now.

“Kara, aren’t you tired?” oh dang! I forgot I wasn’t supposed to talk to her.

“Eh? No, I walk all the time.” She flashed me a quick smile and continued to look straight ahead.

“Really? If it was the other girls in our group, they would already be complaining about their heels.” I looked at her shoes. Oh, that’s why. She’s wearing flats. “Don’t you wear heels?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“It’s a hassle to wear.”

“You know, you should wear one. Heels are made to improve a woman’s posture.”

“Maybe some other day. You’re Enzo, right?” finally she’s taking interest on me.

“Yep.” I smiled at her.

“Are we there yet?” Huh?

“Um… no.” I guess I was wrong.

“Oh… I think it will rain.” She’s so random!

I looked up anyway. She’s right. It’s bound to rain soon.

I find her a bit weird… I mean, not a normal girl. She’s childish and unwoman… if there’s such a word.

“Do you have an umbrella, Kara?”

“I don’t.” she looked at me like she was silently saying sorry.

“It’s okay, I have one.”

Rain was starting to fall and we hurriedly searched for a place to stop while the rain is at its peak. We found a store along the way. We were left with no choice so we ran for safety.

“Excuse me, is it okay if we stay here for a bit while the rain is pouring hard?”

I didn’t think of asking for permission… why is this girl so proper?

“Yes. And tell me if you need anything.”

“Thank you.”

Should I say something?

I guess not. I sat at a bench and got my umbrella out. I looked for stuff to get myself busy with. Anything but to talk to Kara.

She sat beside me.

Okay, are we close? I avoided looking at her but I did not move. Strangely, I didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable around me. I continued to look inside my bag. Oh, I still have Claire’s alcohol here.

“Wow, you’re a boy scout.” Wow, you are peeking.

I smiled at her as I took the alcohol out of my bag and poured some into my hands.

“Want some?” Okay. I was getting a bit guilty of the way I am thinking of her. She was not doing anything wrong, wasn’t she?

“Sure, thanks!” She took the alcohol and poured some too. 

We are now sitting somewhere under the rain. This is supposed to be sweet but I’m not feeling anything of the sort. This is actually awkward.

I miss Claire. She would hug me when it’s this cold. I wonder how she’s doing right now.

“Babe, how are you?” I got my phone and called her.

“Hi Babe! It’s raining! I’m cold. Get here so I could hug you.” I knew it.

“I’m on my way babe.”

“On your way? I thought there’s a strike?”

“I’m walking.”

“Babe! You’re walking? Isn’t it raining?”

“Yes, I stopped to let it rain. Babe, I’m fine. Wait for me, okay? I love you.”

I dropped the call. She will just nag me and I will just get irritated.

“You have a girlfriend?” You were listening?

“Yes. Claire. She’s a junior.”

“Junior? She’s older than you?”

“No, I’m a second-courser.”

“Oh, I see. Hey look.”

The rain was starting to wane. I guess it’s time to push my luck.

“Ready?” I smiled at Kara. She smiled back.