Chapter 6 - A Quick Attack

August 2nd.

It has been a week since that transport strike. May I update you on what has happened?

Everything hurt! Freakin’, f**kin’, hurt!

That’s about it.

I haven’t given a thought about Kara. Huh. How is she anyway? Is she experiencing the same pain as mine? I hope not. It’s too much for me to handle. I can’t imagine her bearing the same.

Now that I’ve mention it, I’ve never seen her since last week…

“Marcus, is Kara attending school?” just a random thought, she might have gotten sick.

“Eh? Yes. Why do you ask?”

“I haven’t seen her since last week. That’s all.”

“I think she’ll be here later. Well would you look at that! Speaking of the little devil.”

I looked at the door and saw Kara. My heart skipped a beat.

No, this is not that skipping that you experience when you see your crush or whatever. This is the skipping that means “Oh no, I have to hide. I don’t want to talk to you.”

I know I said I was going to give her a chance but I really feel that she’s not going to be good for me. So I’m really keeping a distance from her.

I turned my back on her, got a cigar from my bag and went in the smoking room.

Would you say I’m a bad person for doing that?

Is she a nice person?

Is she offending me? 

Does she deserve to be treated like this?

Okay I’m a douche bag.

I killed my cigar and went back. I was expecting Kara and Marcus to be having their usual weird conversation but Marcus wasn’t around. Kara was reading a book when I approached her.

“Hey.”

“Hi, Enzo.”

“How are you? Last week was…”

“Fun?” I was about to say torture. “I haven’t had so much fun since… I can’t remember!”

“Didn’t your body hurt.”

“It did. For two days actually.”

I was lost for words. I could have thought of so many answers to let the conversation flowing but I chose to sit in front of her. She just continued reading.

“What are you reading?”

I wasn’t listening when she told me what she was reading. She even told me what she has read so far. I was too busy looking at her.

Okay, Kara is really pretty.

She has long hair that curls at the end...

a fair complexion...

dark, hazel brown eyes that has the longest lashes I’ve ever seen...

her nose is very cute...

her lips and  cheeks are so red and rosy even without makeup on...

she stands five feet two inches, slim and sexy...

I would definitely have a go at her if I don’t have Claire already.

I looked away immediately when she stopped talking.

“You must really love that book.” I said, to make it look like I was listening.

“I just said I really don’t like this book.”

Oh. I’m now really lost for words.

“Hehe. I’m sorry. I heard you wrong.”

Kara just smiled. She put away her book.

“Enzo, I think you don’t like me.” Huh? Wait, no. It’s not like that.

“What? No. I like you.”

“Really? Whenever I’m with you I really feel this awkward vibe going on… it’s really uncomfortable. Did I do anything wrong?”

“No, Kara…” I don’t know what to say but I was caught off guard.

“Oh, would you look at that, I have to go now.”

Huh?

Kara just left without a single word. I don’t know if that was a blessing. Or should I run after her?

I don’t know!

Everything is so messed up and I’m unprepared.

I’m so sorry, Kara. It’s not that I don’t like you… it’s just so hard not to fall for you…