Chapter 12 - I Was Almost There

September 17th.

Last night, I told Claire that I joined the Athletes for extra credits. I can’t bring myself to tell the truth, that I punched Marcus for Kara. She understood. She told me I needed that.

On Mondays, I only have class from 8:30 to 10:00 in the morning but I can’t go because I still have to meet Sir Joshua to orient me.

 And now, here I am in the football field. I missed the good ol’ days. I grabbed the old pigskin and started to throw and chase after it. I was having a good time. Although it was really hot, I didn’t care. Sunlight was a part of our training back then.

I was aiming at the goal when I saw her in my peripheral vision.

Kara.

She was approaching me. I pretended not to know.

“Hey.”

“Hey, Kara.”

“Can we talk.”

“Sure, start talking.” When I looked at her, she was having a hard time under the sun. “Er, perhaps under that tree?”

We both headed for the tree. And as soon as we’re settled, she started talking.

“What happened last Friday?”

“Um…” I didn’t want to say that I punched Marcus because of her.

“If that was because of the thing at Uncle Sam’s, then, thank you.”

I looked at her. She was smiling.

I can’t help but smile too.

 We talked of random stuff. I didn’t feel any awkward vibe, no tension. It was just us talking and actually, I liked it. We talked about the other people in our group, about our pasts, about food, about our classes, about her past, about us.

Yes, we talked about us, the what ifs.

“What if I didn’t have a girlfriend?”

She laughed. “Then that would suck for you.”

“No, seriously. If I… courted you.”

She looked at me, studying my face. “I don’t know. Having a boyfriend’s not on top of my priorities now.”

I ignored her. “Would I have a chance at you?”

“If I tell, what’s the point of courting me?” she suddenly laughed “Saying that felt like I’m so pretty. Hahaha!”

I just looked at her. You are pretty, Kara.

“Enzo, do you want to grab lunch?”

“Sure, I’ll treat you.”

“No, that’s not necessary, thanks.”

“I insist.” I stood up then offered a hand to Kara. She took it absentmindedly and I pulled when she gripped. I miscalculated her weight and exerted a bit more effort than what I should’ve given. She went out of balance and went straight to my chest.

Time suddenly stopped for us. Do you know those moments in soap operas where couples stare at each others’ eyes for minutes and everything suddenly goes musical? I never knew that was true until today.

I was just looking in her eyes, she was locked to mine. The feeling seemed so right

 I was leaning in for a kiss and Kara was backing away. I didn’t care, I wanted to…

I suddenly remembered Claire. Oh my God, what am I doing!

“Oh, sorry!” I pushed her gently, straightened my uniform then started going to the cafeteria. Kara was quietly following me.

Kara was quiet the whole time we were having lunch. Because of that, I can’t bring myself to talk to her. It was 12:55 when I remembered my orientation with Sir Joshua. I had to leave Kara.

The Love Story That Never WasOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara