Chapter 8 - Confusions

September 1st.

I gave up on looking for Kara. I won’t die without her anyway. I don’t care anymore. I don’t care even if she dies.

I knocked on wood to be sure. I don’t want people dying because of my thoughts.

Anyway, today’s a Saturday. So I don’t have to stress on her. Today I am to spend the day with Claire. We went to the mall to shop and watch a movie. When Claire shops, she’s like Aerosmith. She doesn’t miss a thing. And as a good boyfriend, I had to carry everything she picks. So I’m like her human cart. But I enjoy it since we spend time.

“Babe, does this look good on me?”

“Um, I’m not sure. Try it on.”

“Okay. I’ll try those too.” She got the clothes I was carrying and went to the fitting area. I followed her and stood just outside the stall she entered.

Not a minute has passed, the stall beside Claire’s opened and my heart again stopped.

It was Kara.

There were butterflies. Were there? I don’t know. I’m panicking inside. Calm down, Lorenzo. You didn’t do anything wrong.

So I smiled at her. She smiled too. She fixed herself then she was about to leave the fitting area. I grabbed her by her arm. I can’t help not asking.

“Hey, are you avoiding me?” I whispered so Claire won’t hear.

“No. Why are you whispering?”

“Babe? What do you…well, hello.” Claire opened her stall and saw me holding Kara’s arm and Kara smiling like she’s confused.

“Hi.” Kara smiled and tugged her arm softly so I’d let go.

“Babe, this is Kara. Kara, Claire.”

“I have heard things about you.” Claire said smiling but I know she’s like a hawk ready to attack anytime.

“Well, I know Enzo has a girlfriend but this is the first time I’ve heard of you.” Kara answered. By that answer I know Claire got insulted.

Nobody spoke for a while. When I looked at Claire, she was eyeing Kara’s appearance.

“Okay!” I finally butted in. “Kara, who’s with you?”

“Oh! I’m with Marcus, he’s here some-.” she’s with Marcus?!

“Marcus? You guys are on a date?”

“No! Silly!” She tapped my shoulder. “I saw him earlier and we decided to go together.” I see. “I have to go now, he might have left me already. Bye, Claire. Nice meeting you.” She smiled at Claire and left.

Claire was eyeing me suspiciously.

“What?”

“Is there something I need to know?”

“What?”

Claire raised an eyebrow.

“No!” I laughed and kissed her forehead.

“You didn’t tell me she was pretty.”

“Was she?” I joked. Claire smiled.

“So, what do you think of my dress?”

“It’s just like everything else.” Really, I can’t see the difference. She hit me with a hanger.

After that thing in the fitting area, thank heavens Claire didn’t sweat it. We still had a great time.

Although there was something bothering me. It was Marcus.

I have to figure this out.

He likes having conversations with Kara. He got mad when he asked me if I liked Kara. And now they’re out together. What’s going on.

Could it be that he likes her too?

Wait. Too?

I wasn’t supposed to say too.

WHAT’S GOING ON! I’m so confused!

“Babe? Babe!” Claire was snapping her fingers in front of my eyes.

“Huh?”

“I was asking if you’d like to go with my family on a vacation.” Claire was about to finish her food while I barely touched mine.

I was slightly confused. Then I quickly snapped out of it.

“Sure! When?”

“Babe, are you okay? You have been staring blankly for two solid minutes.”

“Yep! Sorry, Babe. It’s the thing with Marcus. Too bad I didn’t see him. I wanted to talk to him.”

“Okay, let’s finish our food then look for them.”

“What? No! Never mind it, Babe. Let’s head home. I want to relax.”

I’ll ask him another day. But how? That would be a bit awkward.

Damn! I’ll give this one to fate. If I don’t see Marcus for three days straight, I will go ask him.

Hehe. That’s impossible. We’re classmates.