Chapter 2 - She's Kara

July 26th.I was having a smoking session with Marcus, a close friend of mine.

“Is there a transport strike?”

“Yep.” Marcus as he puffed his cigarette for the last time. “Started at 10am. Good thing my class started at eight. You have your service, right?”

“Yes but I don’t know how I'm supposed to go to Claire’s now. Damn it.”

We were talking about the Da Vinci Code when Kara appeared.

“Who’s she?”

“Kara? She’s a transferee. I just met her a few days back.”

“Oh.”

“Hang on.”

Marcus joined Kara. I heard she was going home when she realized that there was a transport strike. So she went here to let time pass.

I decided to call Claire.

“Yes, Babe?”

“Babe, I think I can’t make it tonight. I’m stuck here at Uncle Sam’s and there’s no means of transport.”

“Oh, okay.” I can sense she’s not happy with that. What's a guy to do?

“Alright. Just wait for me, but go ahead and eat dinner, okay?”

“Okay!” now I can sense her smile.

“See you later, I love you, Babe.”

“I love you too.”

I hanged up.

“He’s at the smoking room. I’ll introduce you when he gets here.” I heard Marcus say.

Were they talking about me for long now? I can’t say. They were now teasing each other. Looks to me like they were close already. She must be boyish. I wonder what she looks like.

I puffed my last smoke and killed my cigar. I got out and saw them. Woah. Not bad. Kara’s not bad at all. She was sitting at the table, her legs crossed while Marcus was standing in front of him. They were playing rock paper scissors.

“The one who wins gets the last chocolate bar, ok?!”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Let’s do this!”

I have never seen Marcus play a child’s game. This Kara… how does she do that? I see innocence in her eyes. She’s the type that you want to protect from all the bad stuff. She’s cute. Pretty. But, of course, nothing to my Claire. When she smiles, everything seems to lighten up.

“Oh! Kara, this is Enzo.”

She smiled at me then looked back to Marcus. I nodded but I think she didn’t see. She wasn’t interested in me, I guess.

“Kara, how are you going home?”

“I really don’t know…”

“You can walk up to the terminal and ride a jeep from there.”

“There’s a jeep there?”

“Yep, the strike covers this area only. Enzo can walk with you.” What?

“What about you?” Yes, Marcus, don’t you think it would be a bit awkward?

“My house is a kilometer from here. I can walk with you up to that point.”

“If we’re walking, I suggest we start now” I said. Kara just looked at me and looked back at Marcus.

“Um, okay. Let’s go, Kara?”

“Okay.” She stood up. I noticed her body. I didn’t notice it before, she was hot. Not the hottest of the girls in our group but hot.