Chapter Three: Burger Joint

“Just a thought,” Kyla started, forking some of the cake Tristan gave us into her mouth, “What would the school be like if you and Jasper were still friends?”

Catastrophic? Disastrous? Weird?

“It’s just wrong,” I replied vaguely, drinking from my glass, “I broke off our friendship for a reason.”

She sighed, completely unsatisfied with my answer. She finished off her pastry and pushed away the empty plate, tapping her finger impatiently on the table.

We were currently on our break, and what a relief it is. The costumers who stayed after my escapade with Jasper were giving me looks as I did my job. Co-workers eyed me with a bundle of emotions I don’t want to even figure out.

I don’t even want to think about the questions Kyla was bombarding me. I knew I kept the poor girl hanging when I refused to answer any questions about my former best friend, but when I’m comfortable with it, I’ll start talking.

“Savannah,” Kyla drawled out my name slowly, “What really happened?”

I was jealous that Jasper was falling for Kyla. He never admitted it but I saw the signs, it was better for me to just forget about him than see the pain of watching him look at my best gal pal with so much adoration. Back then, that was my only reason.

When our senior year came, I came to the conclusion that our school would have been so hectic if they realized that their student body president can easily succumb to their star athlete, I had to cut off all ties with him.

Now, I just watch him from afar, observing his every move and think about everything that had happened between us.

I got over my little crush on him, but the longing of having him by my side as a best friend never faded.

I miss him, that’s a fact.

“It’s for the better,” I stated, pushing myself off of my chair.

Is it really?

Kyla shook her head but she stopped on prying for any more information. We headed back to waiting on tables and entertaining our customers.

With a cup of coffee placed on a tray, I walked to the table of a lady. I placed down her order before plastering the same old smile I was required to show.

“Enjoy,” I told her, using a polite tone, just like always.

“You look down, dear,” she observed, “Is a boy troubling you?”

Kind of, sort of, maybe, yeah.

“Keep your chin up,” she smiled softly, “You can never move forward if you keep on looking back.”

I nodded my head at her words, telling her to enjoy her drink; I spun on my heel as I retreated back into the kitchen.

“My shift is over,” I said as I passed Tristan, who already changed out of his work clothes, “See you tomorrow.”

When I was about to push the door of the locker room open, he called out after me, “Want to go grab dinner or something?”

I turned to the inside of the room and I saw Kyla nod vigorously. She has yet to change her clothes, but she looked like she was about to jump out of the room so she can spend some time with Tristan.

“Sure, the three of us can go when we finish changing,” I told him.

The door closed behind me and Kyla erupted into a set of squeals, “Dinner? I’m eating dinner with him?”

I want to remind her that I’m also going to be there, but I rather allow my best friend to have her moment of joy.

Changing into my jeans and shirt, I closed my locker shut and adjusted my bag strap on my shoulder, “Come on, Juliet, your Romeo is waiting.”