Chapter Eighteen: Mistletoe

“The yearly countdown for Christmas,” my mom smiled as she handed us mugs of hot chocolate as we sat down in the living room, staring at the clock located right above the fireplace, waiting for it to tick to midnight.

“One last happy birthday, Drew,” I smiled to my brother who sat on the couch with Celeste. He gave me a thumb up, signaling his appreciation.

Funny thing about drew is that he was born on Christmas Eve, so every year, it was a double celebration for the family. Though with the look in his eyes, we could all conclude that he treasured the times we’re together than actually thinking of his birthday.

Looking at Celeste’s growing belly, I couldn’t help but sigh, in just a few months, another bundle of joy will be added to crazy and rowdy family.

“Six minutes,” dad muttered, settling down on his favorite chair, “You ready, kids?”

The doorbell rang and we all switched our gazes to each other, wondering who was at the door.

Well, who in the world would be visiting us at this late hour?

I volunteered to get it and imagine my shock when I saw Jasper standing there when I opened the door.

“Hey,” he greeted with a soft smile.

“Hi,” I said slowly, “What are you doing here?”

 “Well, my family was next door talking and…” he trailed off, looking unsure of what to do.

Macy popped out from behind him and clicked her tongue at her brother, “It’s not hard, you know.”

“What’s not hard?” I questioned, looking intently at Jasper.

She shook her head, but presented me with a wrapped box, “Merry Christmas, Savannah.”

Jasper’s eyes widened when he saw it, and it looked like he wanted to rip the present off of her grasp and bury it six feet under.

I thanked her as I took it from her hands. The way she was grinning at me was a clear indication that something was up.

“Open it,” she requested, shifting on her feet as Jasper continued to avert his gaze away from me.

Slowly untying the ribbon, I carefully took off the lid. Macy’s grin was still prominent when my eyes scanned the green thing inside the box.

Oh fuck no.

I reached down for it until my fingers found the string. Jasper stared at it, his eyes boring through the mistletoe I held out.

“Well, you know what to do,” she grinned mischievously, taking it from the hands. She hanged it on the hook that was conveniently located on my doorway so it now hung right above us, “Mistletoe, now you have to kiss.”

Jasper cleared his throat loudly and sent a dry look towards Macy. She smiled sheepishly as she slowly retreated back, saying something about giving us the privacy we needed.

“Actually, Macy pushed me here because she wanted me to accompany her as she gave you her gift,” he explained, scratching the back of his head, “But I never thought this was it.”

Nodding in understanding, I looked up and shook my head, eyeing the treacherous thing known as Macy’s wonderful present, “She’s probably watching us right now.”

“And she’s not going to let me leave unless we do something.”

My cheeks heated up as my brain started conjuring up the following scenarios. As much as I wanted this, our friendship is too precious to break it for something like this. I don’t even know how he feels, and now, we’re being forced into something we’re both so unsure about.