Chapter Four: Drinking Fountain

He’s looking at me, he’s real, he’s not turning away. God, help me!

My name, he said my name! It sounds so foreign to my ears, years had gone by since I last heard him voice it out.

Now what should I supposed to do now that I have him here?

“Hi.”

Get pass the greetings, Savannah!

“Hey.”

No, don’t reply with a greeting, we’re never going to pass this!

I could hear my wall clock ticking, timing my moment and reminding me of my failure. Grabbing the edge of my curtain, I closed it, shutting my view of Jasper.

I’m so pathetic.

Minutes ticked by and I just stood there, gripping the curtain with a shaking hand.

When will my pride finally allow me to apologize?

“Savannah!”

Wait a minute, was that him? Did he just call my name?

“Jasper,” I called out but I’m not brave enough to face him.

Once again, I’m so pathetic.

On the plus side, I was able to get past the greetings this time. Baby steps!

“Please open the curtain,” his tone wasn’t exactly pleading, but it was something similar.

I’m not ready to see him face to face. Right now, I have the safety of my curtain, but if that’s gone, I may faint right here.

“Please,” he repeated.

Jasper Dean doesn’t say please. People gives him anything he wants, he just says a word and the whole school is at his beck and call.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed the cloth aside, now staring at Jasper’s brown eyes, waiting for any sign of sudden movement that will put me to my end.

Wait, what?

“Hey,” I croaked out.

One more greeting from you Savannah Everett and I’m about to kick you in the shin. The whole point of this thing is that you no longer need to put so much effort in saying a simple hello!

Great, now I’m arguing with myself inside my head.

“How have you be-“ he started but I suddenly cut him off.

Prepare yourself Jasper because you have to keep in synch with whatever I’m saying.

“Look, I’m sorry that I ignored you, I’m sorry that I’m freaking out right now, I’m sorry that I can’t even get past the greetings, but I need you to know that I’m on the verge of fainting because this is the first time I talked to you in three years and if you think that I can act normal at a time like this then it’s like you haven’t been there when we were growing up!” I said all in one breath.

He stared at me like I was a lunatic, and I’m starting to believe that I am one.

“What?” he asked.

“I’m not repeating myself,” I grumbled under my breath without even thinking.

“Are you sane?” he almost chuckled, observing my movements.

Nope. Hindi. Nulla. Geen. Tidak. Non. Nicht. Nie. Nah. No.

 I bowed my head down and whispered, “I’m sorry.”

“What did I do wrong?” he asked, fishing for an explanation why I suddenly cut off our longtime friendship.

I can never tell him. Admitting it meant that he will find out that I had this crush on him. I will never be able to live it down if that happened.