Chapter Nine: Secret's Out

“So what’s happening with you two?” Tristan asked, propping his elbows on the table in front of us.

I rolled my eyes at him, waving his statement off as I wiped the table with a piece of cloth. Kyla giggled next to me, helping take down the chairs from the top of the tables, prepping up for our opening.

“Nothing,” I replied bluntly, when his smirk grew, I lifted my eyebrows before spraying him with the cleaner on the face. He flinched backwards and I smirked in victory, moving to wipe the other tables clean.

Kyla grinned to my direction, giving me a forewarning that I’m going to go through a long interrogation later on.

My friends pestering me on a Saturday morning was not part of my schedule.

“Moving off topic,” I coughed out awkwardly in an attempt to avert the conversation from me, “What’s up with keeping your job as a secret?”

Tristan sighed, helping take down the chairs from the tables, “It’s nothing.”

I lifted a brow, that answer did not satisfy my curiosity even a bit.

Kyla eyed Tristan suspiciously, helping me with the tables, “I thought we’re already fine to talk to each other in school.”

Tristan frowned at Kyla’s statement, looking at my best friend with an apologetic look. A blush instantly crept up her cheeks, letting out a theory that he wasn’t supposed to hear her statement. She quickly looked down on the table, wiping it with a new vigor.

She’s literally a school girl with a crush.

“What I still don’t get is why you’re even working,” Tristan said, “Your brother practically owns this place, you’re rich!”

“He’s rich,” I tried to emphasize, I’m tired of explaining this over and over again, “I’m living comfortable middle class life.”

“No,” he wagged his finger, “We’re living the comfortable middle class life, and you just want something to keep you busy.”

Rolling my eyes at him, I threw the cloth that I was using to wipe the tables. It hit him square on the face, and he reached out to peel it off, his face scrunching in disgust.

“Hansen!” the main chef yelled from the kitchen, calling Tristan over. He sighed, disliking the guy more and more by the day.

“My duty awaits,” he groaned out, trudging to the kitchen.

“Did you see that?” Kyla suddenly skipped to my side, bouncing with happiness, “He got sad when I mentioned my disappointment.”

If Tristan is here, she’s meek and shy, when he’s not, she’s a bubbly overexcited chick.

But we just love her anyways.

“Come on, we’re about to open,” taking one more look at the polished table, I smiled in accomplishment as the two of us retreated back into the kitchen.

“When will our manager come back?” she sighed, looking around for our boss. I shrugged, it’s better if we just left the woman to her own. Her best friend was getting married overseas, thus, she’s away from work right now.

As if this place needed her, the staff were organized enough to handle without a manager. They cooperated with each other, and they’re nice even to the part-timers like us.

“So how’s little Romeo?” Kyla teased, poking my side making me jump into the air. I stepped away from her as she grinned at me.

“Shut up,” I cut off which only made her laugh harder.