Chapter Twenty: The Reset Button

Pushing on the doorbell multiple times, I kept on praying that Kyla finally lets her butt get out of bed and answer the door.

I’m on the brink of hysterics and I need my best friend right now. I just want to cry and leap out of joy at the same time. I don’t want to hurt Jasper, I really don’t, but if this continues, how am I sure that we’ll be both okay at the end?

The front door finally swung open to reveal Kyla in her fluffy robe and a bad case of bed hair as she had a hand cradling her head, “Do you have any idea what time it is?”

She yawned, rubbing her eyes before she fully examined my face. Her annoyed expression quickly turned into a one of concern as she reached out and dragged me inside her house, “What the hell happened to you.”

“Jasper kissed me,” I squeaked out, trying to stop a sob from escaping my lips.

She looked at me quizzically, her mouth hanging open, “And the problem here is?”

“I ran away,” I frowned, covering my face with my hands, “I’m so stupid.”

She shook her head as she grabbed my arm and took me to her room where she practically tossed me to her bed as she crossed her arms over her chest, “I think we’ve established your lack of common sense.”

Groaning, I crashed into her pillows, “Not helping!”

“We’re not going to have those emotional scenarios where you explain everything, I become sympathetic, you complain about everything else while you have a monologue inside your head, and I just stand here thinking you’ve gone nuts – which you already are – and with some hugs and saying you’re the best friend ever, you’re going to go on your merry way and have a relationship with Jasper!”

I sat up and stared at her for a good moment, opening my mouth for a quick remark, before closing it again. My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion, “How much beer did you drink last night?”

“Enough to know that this will end up in bullshit,” she responded, going to her closet so she could get out of her pajamas, “Look, you know that I love you, but you left the poor boy hanging.”

Slightly tugging at my hair, I bit my lip as I had the monologue that Kyla said that I was going to have inside my head.

What was I even thinking when I was on my way here? I have this odd personality to come crying out to whoever friend that I have, seeking for their advice and have a moment of contemplation inside my brain. In fact, now that I think of it, it’s just to buy me enough time to think about the situation.

“How about we just skip to the part where I give you wisdom filled advice,” she suggested, her voice turning into a fake dreamy one.

I’m going to wave off her sarcastic attitude right now, because I basically interrupted her, before she even got used to the mild hangover she was experiencing.

“Jasper has gone through hell and back, just so he could proudly call you his friend,” she pointed out, pacing around the room, “And I know you have been too, and if I’ve been observant enough, you two are not doing this for the sake of your friendship.”

“Then what else is this for?!” I yelled in exasperation and she showed me glare, silently warning me that if I interrupt her one more time, she’ll personally kill me in my sleep.

She placed her hands on her hips and looked down at me, “You like him, he likes you, and you two are the only people making this complicated.”

Since I still value my dear life, I kept my mouth shut as I nodded, I knew she was just as sick and tired of this drama as I am.