Kissing In Cars (20)

Chapter 20: Kissing In Cars ♡

 ❝As we wake up in your room, your face is the first thing I see. The first time I've seen love and the last I'll ever need.❞ - Kissing In Cars by Pierce The Veil

⋆⋆⋆

It took me a few moments to reply. “What?” I asked, my eyes widening. “What are you talking about?” I wondered if he was lying or just joking around. “Are you being serious?”

            Drew laughed. “If you let me talk, then I’d be able to tell you.”

            I smiled sheepishly. “Sorry. Continue.”

            “Well they called and said, the reason they had a double elimination was so that one of the couples could come back. Originally they wanted us and the other eliminated couple, Anastasia and Luke to compete for the position but apparently, they’re still having problems and don’t want to come back onto the show so that leaves us.”        

            “You’re not joking, are you?”

            “I’m for real.” I started screaming. I didn’t mean to but I was too excited. Drew sighed. “Thank God that you’re not upset.”

            “Upset? Why would I be upset? This is great!”

            Drew leaned over and kissed me and then said, “And we won’t need to pretend anymore.”  But I wondered, was it ever really pretend? Maybe I had always had feelings for Drew, from the beginning and I had just been blind. I smiled.

            “Wow, I can’t believe it!” I said, while Drew drove us to wherever we were going. “I get to see Jennifer again!” I was mostly excited that we got to go back and try to win the money again. It wasn’t even for me anymore; it was for Drew. Of course, I wanted that money, it would help me a lot but it would help Drew a whole lot more.

            When we arrived at a park, I realised what Drew was trying to do. Drew was creating the exact same ‘first date’ we had gradually made up. Over time, our first date had been told. We would add small white lies as we went. There wasn’t anyone at the park, after all it was a cold winters day.

            Drew placed the picnic blanket from his car on the grass and then held up a picnic basket, winking. “If this food sucks, we can always go somewhere else and eat.” For a little while, we just sat there and spoke.

            After we ate, it started getting dark. I realised we had been there for hours. I jumped up and ran to the swings. I sat down on one and started pushing myself up and down. Drew came and sat on the other one but didn’t swing himself.

“How’s your Dad going?” I gently asked.

            “He’s good, I guess. He’s in high spirits, so. It just really sucks that he has to go through all this shit. He’s a good person and he doesn’t deserve this.” I was surprised Drew was saying this all to me, usually, when it came to his Dad he didn’t speak much. We didn’t speak about his Dad too much, mostly because I didn’t want to bring it up.

            “Your Dad’s pretty amazing,” I told him.

            “Not as amazing as me,” Drew laughed.

            “20 times as amazing as you,” I replied.

            “Do you go to the cemetery a lot?”

            “I try to… it’s the least I can do, right?”

            “You’re a good daughter.”