Leaving the Hospital

The day before Jason was to be released from the hospital, I went to visit him. It was four days after he had woken up from the coma. They wanted to make sure that everything was okay with his brain and leg. He wouldn't be able to walk properly once his leg healed from the surgery. His doctor was hoping that a VA specialist would be able to come in to fit a brace to his leg. That wouldn't be for a while though, because he couldn't even get out of the hospital bed.

I felt so bad for him, it wasn't fair for him to be like this. It broke my heart that he got like this so quickly. It was surreal that this was happening to my Jason. A few weeks ago, he was roundhouse kicking anyone in his way, and now he was stuck in a hospital bed, with a dysfunctional leg. He didn't seem too upset the day he woke up, but I could tell it was only a matter of time before he would be expressing his thoughts.

I walked into Jason's room. "Hey, you." I said and sat on the corner of his bed.

"Hey, Gabe." Jason sat up in the bed. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I missed you." I said.

"I missed you, too." He took my hand and pulled me into a hug. He was about to kiss me when the door swung open.

A nurse walked in. "Oh... I'm sorry, I'm just coming to check your vitals, Mr. Storm."

"Oh okay." He went to pull away. "I guess -"

"No no no, stay. I just need to borrow your arm. Don't move, stay. You guys are so cute." The nurse was smiling.

Jason was laughing as he kept me in his arms, but then stretched out one for the nurse. She hurried with what she was doing, smiling the whole time. Once she was done taking his blood pressure she replaced his arm to my back. She finished whatever else she had to do and then turned and hurried out of the way.

I started laughing once she left. "Way to kill the moment."

"Tell me about it." Jason was laughing, too. "That was awkward."

I pulled away from him. "well, it was bound to happen at some point. At least this nurse was cool with it."

"Yeah... I go home today. The doc told me earlier."

"I know, your mom told me this morning."

"I'm not allowed to walk. I can use crutches if I have to go somewhere, but they don't want me to strain myself while I'm healing." This I knew as well, I talked to his mom earlier.

"How long are you not permitted to walk?"

"A few weeks. I won't be able to walk graduation, if I even graduate with this class."

"You will. you just need to finish studying for your exams and then take them this week."

He shook his head. "I just don't know how I'm going to be able to do it."

"I'll help you." I put a hand on his uninjured leg.

"You want to spend the next week with me relentlessly studying?" He l tooked at me like I was crazy.

"Well, why wouldn't I? I have to see you succeed." I smiled.

"Well, thanks, Gabe."

I smiled and kissed him. "My pleasure."

He reached for my stomach. "How are the twins?"

I stood up. "Good, " I said, as he lifted up my shirt and put his hands on my belly.

"Hi, twins." He leaned in and kissed my stomach. "I love you guys, so much."

I smiled. "And they love you, too."

He leaned back, but kept his hand on me. He was getting tired, I could tell. Everything was pretty much exhausting him right now. He had a lot of healing to do, so I wasn't surprised at all.

"Sorry." He closed his eyes, hand still on my stomach. "It's just so hard sometimes to stay awake. I get tired with even talking.... I seriously hope that I am not going to be like this for the rest of my life."

I stayed silent. Watching him in pain, physical and mental, was so hard. He didn't deserve to be in any pain. Also, the fact that he kept blaming himself and not the actual injury for what had happened. He was starting to open up to me, and I had to be strong for him.

"Why me, Gabe? ...I had so much planned for me. I can't do any of that now, because I was stupid and not paying attention to what my leg was telling me. Now I have a sorry excuse for one and I won't be able to walk properly..." He paused, "I won't ever be able to do Taekwondo again... It's going to be hard to go anywhere with me... you'll always be waiting for me to catch up, but then again, I'll probably be too exhausted to do anything..."

"Jason..." I was going to say something to try and comfort him, but he interrupted.

"Gabry, what if I can't ever do anything with the twins? I'll just have to sit back and watch them play. Watch from the side of the ring, and not actually be with them..." A tear rolled down his face, I'd never seen him really cry before.

I couldn't take it anymore. "Jason, it's not your fault! You didn't do this to yourself! They said that even though this is rare, if it would happen to you, it's because you are diabetic! You didn't cause your muscle to die! You will be able to do it, because I'm going to be right by your side. Through everything." Taking a breath, I sat down on the edge of his bed. "Everything will be alright."

Jason looked at me, and then closed his eyes. "I hope so."

"I promise so... I love you."

"I love you, too." He kept his eyes shut, but grabbed my hand. "Stay with me, please. Until my parents come in." 

I nodded, carefully watching him. That breakdown was probably just a small one. I couldn't imagine what a bigger one was. A lot of what he was feeling was probably just frustration from his leg being injured. He had to channel it somewhere, and if he had to express his thoughts to me for an hour, so be it. I would do it because I loved him.

His parents came in a short while later and told me, because Jason was sleeping, that he had been discharged. They brought a wheelchair with them for him to use, because he was probably going to have trouble even standing. His doctor and a nurse were in the room, now. They were checking things before they started taking all the monitors and electrodes off.

I gently shook his hand, and he woke up. "Ready to go?" I asked him.

"Already?" He looked around and saw the nurse taking the IV out of his arm. 

"They are finishing up, so yeah, soon."

He nodded, I watched them finish up, and put the wheelchair by the bed. I left the room with his mom, the nurse and doctor; Mr. Storm was helping him get dressed. We waited for him in the waiting room. He walked around the corner on his crutches, careful not to jostle his right leg. His dad was standing behind him for support. He smiled when he saw me.

We left the hospital together, but I had to drive my own car, so I kissed him goodbye when we got to the parking lot. It took him a while to get situated in the car, but soon I was following them back home.

Aaaand that's it for this chapter. Comment and tell me what you think! I apologize for taking so long with writing these chapters. I write whenever I can. Thanks for reading so far! I'll hopefully have the next chapter up soon! Oh, and if you see any gramatical errors, don't hesitate to message me and tell me so I can fix it.

Until the next chapter,

Sairahiniel