The Call

Dallas had called a few times before in the summer from boot camp, just to let us know that he was doing okay. Most of the time though, we would get letters from him. My mom would always scream out of joy when she heard the phone ring and saw the base's number on the caller ID. She would talk to him for a few minutes before he reminded her that he only had about five minutes, so he needed to at least say hi to Dad and I. We were okay with her talking to Dallas the most because both of her son's were either deployed or finishing boot camp and about to be stationed over seas.

Kat was over at my house, sprawled out over my bed and just staring at the ceiling. She and Dallas had been writing to each other. He'd called her once when he had extra time on the phone, but that was a few weeks ago. There was no call for her since, only letters and she was alright with that most of the time. I could tell that she missed him, but she didn't want to say anything because she knew he was busy.

It was Sunday, which was the day he usually called, but there hadn't been a call so far that day. He must have been busy, or maybe his platoon was in trouble and got their calling permissions revoked for that week. Dallas said that there were some assholes in his platoon that liked to cause trouble all the time.

"Hey, let's do our nails and watch Dirty Dancing, or something along those lines." I said, turning to Kat, who was now laying on my bed with her face in the pillows.

"Sure..." She continued to mumble into my pillow as she talked.

"Kat, get up. I can't hear what you're saying when you do that."

"But I don't want to get up!" She whined.

"Laying on my bed and wallowing in self pity will not make Dally call any faster, Katherine. So let's get up and do something productive with our time." I put my hand on her back gently.

She groaned as she rolled off of my bed. "I guess we can do that." Kat stood up from the floor. "Where's Jason anyway? Isn't he usually over here on Sundays?"

"Yeah, but he had to go with his mom to pick up his sister from the airport. She's on leave this week." I stood up from my chair in the corner of my room. All of my things had been unpacked and put back where they belonged. My mother insisted on helping me unpack. I appreciated the help and concern that she had started to show for me.

I walked into my bathroom to grab the box with my numerous amounts of nail polish in there. Just as I was reaching up, the twins started to kick violently and I immediately dropped my arms down.

"Calm down you two. You may not want you're nails done, but I do." I said to my stomach. Maybe they were going to be boys. They hadn't stopped kicking since last week when  Jason and I were at the beach.

Kat walked into the bathroom and grabbed the box so I wouldn't have to reach. "I think Jason has been teaching them Taekwondo while you're sleeping."

"You know, as incessantly as they have been kicking, I wouldn't doubt it." I led Kat out of bathroom and put my hands on my back. "This is so uncomfortable."

We walked down the stairs and went into the living room. Kat turned on the xbox and sat down on the couch. Kat sat down next to me holding onto the remote. "We should watch a movie with Patrick Swayze." She said, looking at the screen once Netflix was loaded.

"You're obsession with that man makes no sense to me... but he's still attractive, so why not?" I agreed, laughing.

"Dirty Dancing, then?" She asked, typing his name into the search bar.

"Of course, and then Ghost after that." I replied, opening the box of nail polish. "What color, do you think?"

"Ohh, wait! I'll paint galaxy nails on you!" She scooted over next to me.