𝟏𝟒 | 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

The real question is, just where do we start? Who would be good?

"We gotta think about this very carefully, 'cause after all, we can't choose someone who would slow the team down; that'd be terrible."

"It has to be someone we can easily get into formation with," I say, adding to Naruto's criteria. "Maybe someone we've worked with in the past?"

"Yeah, yeah! But, uh..." He suddenly stops in the middle of the road. "... you've just listed all our friends."

I sigh. "I guess that wasn't very helpful, huh..." And again.

"On the other hand, as long as it's someone we really get along with, we won't have to kiss our teamwork goodbye," he says. "Gotta make sure the guy's not too good looking, either..."

I snort. "And what's that got to do with good teamwork?" I ask. He freezes.

"N-Nothin' at all," he stammers. My mind starts racing with questions, going a mile a second.

"Long time, no see, you two," a low voice suddenly says. I jump, having been so self-involved since Naruto's comment from before. Naruto turns on his heel, and scrutinizes the dark figure standing in the shade of a large tree.

"... who are you?" he asks him. Internally, I groan. You've gotta be joking.

"It's me," Shino says. Naruto rushes up to him, and examines him.

"Oh yeah!" Naruto shouts. "You're...! You're... uh..."

"It's nice to see you again, Shino," I say, joining him, and forcibly lowering his arm.

"I'm glad at least one of you remember me," Shino says, his voice just as monotone as ever. You certainly don't seem glad, I note mentally. "I know it's been a while, Naruto, but you should at least try to remember your friends, or else it just hurts the other person's feelings.

"Wait, that voice and that weird way of talking... is it really... Yeah, it's Shino! Right!" I can't help myself from rolling my eyes.

"Wow," I say. "Who knew."

"It finally came to you, huh?" Shino says.

"How am I supposed to recognize you with your face covered up like that?!" Naruto demands.

I suppose that, subconsciously, I'd had my Scope activated. I quickly look up above me, to see a white, fluffy, four-legged creature dropping down toward us, and I bump Naruto out of the way. It lands before us, and to my surprise, there's someone sitting atop of it.

"What's up?" Kiba says. "You're early, Shino!" He glances toward us.

"Huh? Kiba, that you?" Naruto asks.

"Hey!" he says, leaping off Akamaru's back. And you know, after not seeing someone for three years, you'd expect maybe a handshake, or a hug depending on who it is. Instead, both Naruto and I are sniffed. "Yep, there's no mistaking that scent; you guys are you, all right."