𝟏𝟖 | 𝐄𝐧𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐈𝐭

"H-Hey

"H-Hey... what do you mean by that?!" Naruto demands.

"I-It was just a guess," I insist, frowning all the same. "The way things are, it's obvious this guy doesn't agree with it. And if this is really the case, then..." My stomach twists in a great knot at the thought. "... then Lady Tsunade could be in danger."

"Lady Tsunade?!" Sakura repeats angrily.

Captain Yamato glances away from us. "You're right," he says.

"But that doesn't make sense!" Naruto says. "I know Sai's boss was the old man's rival and all, but why do they have to destroy the Leaf or do something to Granny Tsunade?"

"Did you forget already?" Sakura asks him. "Lady Tsunade used to be the Third Hokage's favourite student."

"Besides that, the way the things are run in the Leaf by Lady Tsunade obviously complies with the wishes of the Third Hokage," Captain Yamato reminds us. "Undoubtedly, Danzo probably isn't happy about it, but most of the people in the village support the current regime, so things can't be changed so easily."

"And obviously what Danzo's thinking of is causing a traumatic event to sway it," I murmur. "That must be why he's tasked Sai to speak to Orochimaru. He wants his help so Danzo can replace Lady Tsunade without looking like the bad guy... something that snake-bastard has no problem with."

From beside my, Naruto audibly grits his teeth. "The destruction of the Hidden Leaf Village," he growls through them, "just because of that?!"

I nod. "Yeah."

"... the reason why Danzo went into action so late in the game..." "... is because it's been three years since the last attack," Sakura goes on to say, "so there's been enough time for Orochimaru to fully regain his forces."

"I agree," Captain Yamato says. "Or, he may have thought Orochimaru is more cautious now because the last attack failed. If he acts now, he thinks the negotiations with Orochimaru... will go more smoothly."

"That means he's going to propose cooperation from the village, right?"

"Yes."

"Wait a minute... you mean Sai's secret mission is..." Naruto swallows.

"To gain Orochimaru's trust and favour, most likely," I finish. "He'll be a liaison between him and Danzo. And Danzo probably thought the chances of meeting Orochimaru again would be higher if he was put with us." I groan at this. "I really hate to admit it, but this Danzo is dangerously smart."

"If what you said is the case... then we might have to get rid of Sai."

"... yeah," I whisper.

"Right now, I have my clone following them, but there's no way of knowing what's going to happen. We're going to go after them right away."