𝟏𝟔 | 𝐓𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐢 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞

long time no see!

"As Sai said earlier, we can assume the enemy will be very skilled

"As Sai said earlier, we can assume the enemy will be very skilled. A mistake in teamwork could prove fatal. I'm sure you all have something to say about this, but just concentrate on the mission for now. We don't know where Orochimaru's hideout is, but the Akatsuki spy is probably on his way to the bridge right about now."

"Based on our previous discussion, although I don't really do this that often, we'll be spending half of tomorrow working on a team-play simulation."

"A simulation?" Naruto repeats.

"That's right. All I know about you guys is what I've read in your files," Captain Yamato says. "I want a first-hand knowledge of your fighting styles, battle skills, and Jutsu types. The cooperation of the team should get smoother if we learn about each other.

Naruto sighs deeply. "Cooperation, huh...?"

Captain Yamato smiles. "You might think I'm being too cautious, but this is how I do things." The smile fades. "You will go along with it."

-

Once our mission planning ended, Captain Yamato had us settle into sleep. I volunteer to be the first to keep watch over our little fortress. To make sure I had enough chakra for the day ahead, for our simulation, and then for our mission, I'd need complete, uninterrupted sleep to infuse it all.

I clamber up onto the roof of our Captain's pop-up wooden house and lay back against it. I would think that the lack of lights would make a difference in star visibility, but in fact, they seem a lot dimmer than what they are back home. Maybe it's because of the moon not being so bright, itself, but I'm no expert to make any assumptions.

Settling into my spot on the roof, I tuck my arms behind me, take in the night breeze, and activate my Sensory Scope. To my relief, there's no one around. I guess we're too deep into our shortcut for my scope's range.

With all this silence around me, I find my thoughts heading back to one of my first nights back in the village, after Naruto and I had returned to my house after going to Ichiraku's, when I'd taken a deep look in Naruto's memories... I always wonder about that woman I'd met; Kuroko, if I'm not mistaken. Saying she was Naruto's great-grandmother, and even Makara knowing her, as well... And then that masked man appearing, and completely ejecting me from finding out any answers— "What's up with that?"

"What's up with what?"

I jump, nearly losing my place on the roof at Naruto's question. I hadn't even realized I'd said it out loud, but still.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," I chide him. "I'm already on enough of an edge without you adding to it."

"Sorry, sorry."