𝟐𝟎 | 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

I'm absolutely miserable

This underground hideout has rendered me absolutely useless to help the effort of finding Sasuke. I couldn't track him, even if I wanted to. Since three years ago, everyone's chakra has changed— mine, Naruto's, Sakura, and everyone elses' back home. And Sasuke's time with Orochimaru has undoubtedly changed the design of his. This is what I told the others early, though I should've also mentioned that whatever the underground hideout here is made of, it's completely disorienting my ability to sense chakra. Naruto and Sai, who run directly ahead of me— I can't even feel theirs, and they aren't even more than five feet away from me.

I should have told Captain Yamato, I think, as Naruto and Sai stop to open another door on our trails. This could be problematic if we end up having to fight someone down here.

"He's not in here, either," Naruto says, breathing heavily.

"I believe this is the last room on this level," Sai points out. "Let's move on to the next level and search there."

"Right." And he shuts the door behind us.

*

My anxiety only rises. And the silence between the three of us only makes things worse. The long, dark halls, and the flickering flames from the candles that line them; Naruto's heavy breathing and frustrated exclaims; having to keep up with his erratic speeds... It's becoming too much for me.

And now, to make matters worse, Naruto has just tripped over himself, and flies several feet forward to the ground. Quickly and shakily, I make my way in front of him, and crouch down before him.

"Naruto," I say, and offer my hand to him. I deflate when he refuses to take it. "Naruto..."

"Remember, the others are searching, too," Sai offers. I look back at him, hopeful that his words will reach him. Because I am at a loss for words, myself. I don't know what to say that will sink in, that won't hurt his feelings or discredit his efforts. But... "There's no need to push yourself so hard."

"Shut up," he snaps, and shakily pushes himself up onto his one hand. "This is no time to be resting. We're so close to finding Sasuke."

I take my hand away from him when he collapses back against the cool ground.

"You... you're being selfish, Naruto," I say, pushing myself into having my legs crossed. From the floor, he looks up at me, the skin beneath his eyes dark. "Unbelievably unkind."

"... what... are you talking about?" he says through his teeth.

I huff at him. "You have two other teammates beside you. And, you have two more – God knows where – trying to find Sasuke, but you insist on pushing yourself when you know you're hurt from that, and refuse to accept the help you have, which makes you selfish."