𝟐𝟒 | 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐲

The village seems quite busy today

The village seems quite busy today. I reach a certain point of tolerance where the main street which I walk up becomes so congested it's difficult to navigate through, and so to avoid dealing with it, I climb up the closest building and begin leaping roof to roof to where I sense Naruto's chakra. It's worrisome that even from here, I can sense how troubled he is. And when I arrive to our meeting point, that sensation of mine matches the concerned expression on his face. I pause, just at the edge of the roof to watch him.

I'd thought about it. I'd really thought about it, telling Naruto about Kuroko, I mean. I'd thought long and hard, all night long, and the deliberations were so bothersome that it kept me up all night. Already previously exhausted from the day prior, I'd resorted to using my chakra to keep me standing upright and energized for the day. In the very end, I'd decided against telling him for one very specific reason: what if Naruto doesn't remember her?

I mean, think about it. Kuroko had permissive access from the Yamada Clan to use their techniques. That included the regression one, which turned her young again, and the one that deals with memories. Who's to say that she never altered Naruto's memories as a child? Clearly, she spent time with him when he was a child, but based on his demeanor, and him never mentioning such a person, I really think it's likely she stole his memories away from him. Maybe... that would've made it easier on him if she'd had to leave him behind. I can understand that. Having no parents for so long would make it harder to lose one more family member.

Even though I'd been so resolute on deciding not to say anything, watching him sit all alone, I have no trouble picturing Kuroko beside him, the both of them smiling together. Oh, there's nothing more that I'd want than that.

My one fist clenched, determined, I take several steps backward before running far over the edge of the roof, hoping to land at least a little close to Naruto in order to spook him out of his funk. To my disappointment, when I land a good ten feet away from him, it turned out not to have worked.

"I saw you when you first arrived, y'know," he tells me, an awkward, cocky smirk on his face. "Nice try, though."

"Oh, I totally scared you," I say, stalking toward him, annoyed. "You've just become a good actor." I look around before sitting beside him. "I guess Sakura and Sai aren't here yet."

"Nah, not yet," he says. I turn on my Scope quickly.

"It looks like they'll be here soon," I say. "They're just a couple of blocks away."

At the very least, I can nonchalantly question him about her.

"Say," I start off shakily. "Have you ever... heard of someone named Kuroko?"

Hand on his chin, Naruto squints. "Hm... Kuroko, Kuroko... I, uh, don't think so. Who's that?"

I grimace. Why didn't I think he might ask that?!