alex

So Hady has given you the rundown

So Hady has given you the rundown. I'm her super cool BFF who can kick serious butt. My parents named me after this really famous supermodel because with a last name like Ren, they just couldn't help themselves. People like them really shouldn't have kids, and I guess my suspicions about them being too irresponsible were proven when they split. I was 10. Or 9. Last I heard, my mom moved to Taiwan in search of some relatives or something and my dad's stuck with me. He's actually pretty cool as far as Asian parents go, but he still holds on to his ideals like he's in a sinking ship and those are the only things keeping him from drowning. It's not easy to thrive in a town filled with people who are so culturally different from you.

Depending on how you look at it, I guess it's lucky I'm an only child. But then again, maybe not. It's those damn dreams. When they finally get to me, my dad's gonna be all alone and I don't like that one bit. He'll definitely survive on his own, but after the way my mom left him, I don't want to go anywhere.

It's a little hard to pay attention in class when you're not sure if you're going to be here tomorrow. The dreams have gotten so intense that I wake up completely drenched in sweat, heartbeat pounding like mad and I swear, sometimes it takes like 5 minutes to completely orient myself and see my actual bedroom. For those moments, all I can see are smoke or mist and it feels like I'm going blind. You can imagine the mini anxiety attacks I have every night before and after I go to bed. And also it's English lit class. You can only read Shakespearean for so long till your brain goes to sleep.

"Alexis Ren!" I snapped out of it. Had I actually fallen asleep in class? My palms were covered in something wet and grimy, "Sorry, I never thought moonlighting could be this tiring." I joked. Hey, even pathetic ones get you points for trying.

"What's wrong with your hands?" Mrs. Collins asked pointedly at them. I glanced and ewwed. A couple of my nails were torn and embedded with what looks like soil. I turned my hands around and saw brownish stains. "I thought I was sleeping?" I got a couple of laughs for that, but I couldn't fully focus. I was dreaming about woods, there were lots of trees which accounts for the mist but actual dirt on my hands. This is getting insane. And just like that, the memory of the dreams disappeared and I kept saying to myself, trees trees trees trees trees.

"May I be excused?" I rushed out without waiting for her to tell me I've been dismissed. This cannot be right, I cannot be in the right state of mind right now. I walked around blindly, feeling chills until I realized I was in front of Hady's classroom. If I barged right in, I would look like a crazy person. I took a step back and headed for the washroom instead.

2nd flr ww

I texted and within seconds, saw that it's been read. Perfect, she's on her way. Or I hope she is. Trees, trees, trees. I kept my eyes closed and my neck on the cool tiles I was leaning against.

"What are you doing here?" Hady. I reached my hands out to her, "Yuck, what's that, Alex? The hell... Where have you been mucking around? Aren't you supposed to be in class?"