cam

The moment I saw the two girls emerge from the house, I had this sinking feeling that I had just been played

The moment I saw the two girls emerge from the house, I had this sinking feeling that I had just been played. I can't believe that Hady would actually resort to this as revenge. I woke her up that ONE time! 

"Wow, guys. Real mature. I thought something serious had actually happened and now I'm going to be an hour late." I said as I emerged from my car. It wasn't as though I really cared about ditching, but I wanted them to feel bad.

Alex glanced at me with hurt in her eyes, which took me aback, "And here I thought you were a real bad boy." Her words didn't align with how she looked, like the vibe's off.

I smirked good-naturedly, "Oh, honey, you don't even know." I tested, but she didn't even try. All I got in return was a weak smile.

This was it, either I continue antagonizing them with disbelief or...

"Ok, c'mon." I paused. Oh what the hell. I softened my voice, "What really happened? I might not remember what happened last night, but how about what you guys told me the day before?"

I almost missed the look they shared. Alex's questioning one and Hady's determination.

"Did you actually believe us?" Alex laughed mirthlessly, "Got you good!"

"No. What was that?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"What was what?" She asked innocently.

"Look, I know you're lying for some reason. Quit it and spill."

Hady sighed, "I don't want you involved, Cam. She barely even got up and I don't think I want you with us."

That stung a little bit, but I'm her brother. I knew how to read in between the lines. "Awww, isn't that just precious? Sweet little sister wants to protect me from the big scary eversleep!" I exclaimed. "Get off your high horse, you need someone with brains. Who would have flown you here at the drop of a hat?"

Silence. Another shared look.

"Get in the car." Hady said. Once we were all safe and warm, she said hesitantly, "Alex... She thinks she's killed someone in the eversleep. She... She woke up with blood on her hands."

I glanced at Alex through the rear view mirror, but all I could see was her profile. She was staring out of the window, dazed.

"Is that true, Alex?"

She jolted, caught my eye and nodded.

Silence engulfed the car and I swear. The tension was palpable. Like a balloon that would burst if no one spoke up. I just opened my mouth when Hady caught me by surprise, "Where are we going, Cam? Sunnyhill's that way." I glanced at the road. I absolutely meant to send them to school, but clearly my subconscious disagreed with me. I strengthened my resolve and gritted my teeth. "If what you say is true... You can't want to go to school in that state of mind." I directed at Alex, and to answer Hady's question, I said: "If you want go to class like the goody two shoes you are, I can do a killer U-turn."

Hady shook her head in disapproval ever so slightly but she held her tongue. As for Alex, I saw a ghost of a smile, but it was so fleeting I wasn't sure if I imagined it. But she'll be smiling before long. All she needs is some vitamin sea.

The moment my feet hit the sand and the sound of waves cresting on rocks sounded in my ears, I felt all the worries in the world dissipate like foam on the shoreline. I turned towards the two huddled together, exchanging whispers. Let them talk. 

I went to the boot and grabbed a blanket and chips. There's even a cooler with beer in it, but we wouldn't be needing that... Oh hell, why not? I lifted it out and called for them to follow me.

We didn't even have to find any particular spot to set up our little picnic. The beach was entirely empty. The overcast skies promised sun. If there's anything I know for sure, it's the great outdoors.

"So, talk." I said, stuffing handfuls of chips into my mouth.

After a tiny moment of hesitation, Alex settled in and began to tell her story of last night, starting from the top to fill us both in on what exactly happened. Apparently, neither Hady nor I were able to recall perfectly but she and Daniel can. No explanations on that, I mean, how do you begin to find logic in this crazy world?

"I was watching how Daniel left. He sort of slowly turned transparent in the sunlight. I think maybe that's the key. It's not anything we do... But sunlight. Anyway, that was when he appeared. The only thing human about him was that he's got all the right amount of eyes, arms, legs... But they were all kind of wrong. First off, he's this pale green color. His eyes entirely black. No whites. And his limbs seemed long. Waaay too long. That's all I saw, because he started coming at me... With a spear." She seemed to liven up while filling us in, pausing for dramatic effect and getting animated.

"So obviously I started to leg it! At one point I even screamed at him, I asked if he was the asshole who kept leaving us those obscure messages. Apparently not, because he just kept screeching at me. It sounded like fork on a plate, just high pitch and very, very unpleasant. At this point I was just shitting myself. I thought I was going to die for sure, especially when I tumbled over a rock."

She was clearly enjoying it now, watching us for cues.

"I did the only logical thing, I pretended I was hurt. He lowered his spear. When he got close enough I bashed his head in. Over and over again."

"Oh, Alex." Hady soothed, hugging her and generally making a girly fuss. Clearly Alex was not as shaken as she should be. She's always been kind of tough. If she actually did kill that... Humanoid, I reckon she's probably more disturbed at the fact that she isn't more disturbed.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I offered.

"Sure." She untangled herself from Hady and said, "Time to text loverboy."

"Who's loverboy?" I asked. She hooked her arm through mine and began walking towards the water.

"Just something I tease Hady about." Alex explained. "So, crazy morning, huh?"

"First of all, this whole thing screams sci-fi." I said, "Are you guys ripping off some movie I haven't seen?" I joked.

"I wish!" She said with a disdainful scowl, "Don't tell me you haven't heard about the eversleep before this? Haven't you had creepy dreams before?"

"Sure, but everyone gets them. It's up to you to make them more than they really are."

"I guess you're right."

"But?"

"But? I don't know, Cam. It just feels so real." The wind was whipping her hair around her and she was a picture against the great ocean and sky looking like a fragile, tiny little thing. All I wanted to do was wrap her in my arms.

"Will you look for me tonight?" I asked instead.

"Sure I will." And that was enough.