danny

"You know what doesn't make sense?" I began, once I saw Alex's figure huddled against the tree we spent the entire night before

"You know what doesn't make sense?" I began, once I saw Alex's figure huddled against the tree we spent the entire night before. "For one, we're not terrified anymore. And also, there's that question of when we actually get to sleep! I feel like a walking zombie..." 

I heard no reply, even as I got nearer. "Alex?" I called, wondering if I was walking in on some significant moment or something. I doubt I would ever anticipate what's next with her. She kinda feels like a splash of cold water- sometimes refreshing with sweet relief, but usually shocking and bewildering. 

"What doesn't make sense is Hady and you." She accused. I surprised myself by not feeling surprise at all. I guess she's also the kind of girl that you just get used to. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"I don't know, maybe you can figure it out." She pointed at the carving she did on the tree yesterday. There was a little question mark scrawled on top of it. 

"I didn't do that." I said automatically. 

"I guessed," She paused, "But who, then?" 

I shrugged and took a seat, keeping my eyes on it. "Maybe that's the answer to our questions." I said finally. "Did you happen to bring any pen and paper?" The moment the words escaped me, I knew she'd have some kind of witty come back and I was right. 

"Oh, let me just pop out for a minute so I can text Hady." The sarcasm was astounding but she followed it quickly with, "Hey, do you think I could do that?" She didn't even wait for my reply. She stood up and closed her eyes, scrunching her face up in the process. Alex held the position for a few moments before opening one eye. 

"Clearly not..." She laughed deprecatingly and started to pace. There was a sudden, sharp sound and I whipped my head up to see her lower her hand back down to her side. 

"Did you just...?" 

"Slap myself? It was worth a try. Hmmm..." She walked towards me and I scuffed back a bit. 

"Will you slap me? Maybe I didn't use enough strength." 

"No, I will not slap you!" I said forcefully. I had never hit a girl. I was not going to start now. 

"Do you have any ideas, then?" She asked. 

"I don't know."

"Come on." Alex gestured at me to stand up, "If we're going to learn about this place, we need to experiment. Like scientists. If that guy never broke all the rules and sailed the seas, we'd still think the world is flat!" 

"He was an astronomer. And his name was Eratosthenes." I said under my breath. She looked at me like I was speaking Latin. 

"Okay you nerd," She laughed, "Let's get this show on the road. Get up!" 

I stood. Then she promptly shoved me over. 

"Ey! Wha-" I fell back on the stone I was sitting on, feeling a bruise forming on my back. I got up slowly, "That really hurt." I emphasized. "This place..." I let my words hang in the air. 

"Is stupid." She continued for me, "How are we- hang on. Maybe if we actually fall asleep, we would wake up?" 

About 15 minutes later, we each had a little pillow made of leaves. 

"Is it just me, or have we reached a new level of weirdness?" I asked as the both of us appraised our beds. We were careful to make sure there weren't any bugs hiding on the leaves (I was actually surprised there were none) and picked out all the sticks. Without another word, we lay down respectively, in opposite directions. 

"This is ridiculous." Alex grumbled. "I'm going to try to bring own pillow and blankets next time." 

"What's taking Hady, though?" I asked. "Doesn't she usually show up whenever you do?" 

"No, not really. I think she has trouble sleeping. And she also has trouble navigating this place... I mean, she's not like us." 

I was actually beginning to doze off when I heard her add, "I'm usually the one to bring her." And then I was gone. Just totally gone. 

When I came to, I was still lying in the woods and Alex was curled up in a deep sleep. 

"Hey, hey!" I shook her as gently as I could before increasing the intensity, "Alex!" 

She opened her eyes blearily, "Uh?" 

"Where'd you go?" 

"I was sleeping, Daniel. Like, in a I-have-not-slept-so-well-in-forever kinda way." 

"Yeah, me too. Hady never showed, we never found out how to go back once we're here. But- DAMN!" I near-shouted. "I have not felt so rejuvenated in a long time." 

That elicited laughter from Alex, and I was in such a good mood I ruffled her hair. "What's so funny?" I asked her, "You're always laughing at something." 

"I believe that life is either a joke or a tragedy." She said somberly, "And also, you talk funny." 

"I talk funny?" 

"Yeah, you kinda do." 

"Sun's coming up."

"Yeah." 

"I'll bring the papers, you bring some proper bedding." 

"Yes, sir!" 

We chatted for a little more, wondering what happened to Hady and if Dana showed up at all. I'd like to think she did and felt at ease, seeing her twin having a restful sleep. We decided that Hady had a good night's rest too since she had neither one of us to drag her out of her dreamy reverie. Alex explained that when she finds her, Hady is usually disoriented. She's going to find out exactly what Hady remembers when she wakes up, though. 

"Are you going?" She asked. 

"I think so." My mouth was moving a lot slower than my mind now, and it took effort to actually get them out. 

"Hang on to the feeling." Alex advised. "Remember how it feels like!" 

"Ookay." I let myself fade away. I doubt we'd be able to recreate this feeling of falling asleep yet not. I felt myself hurled towards consciousness at a comfortably slow pace. 

And I can't remember the exact moment, but I heard a clear voice saying, "Danny." 

The problem was I couldn't be sure if I imagined it, or if it was called out to me just as I opened my eyes. I knew it wasn't Alex because her voice is distinct. It could almost be Hadilynn's, save the familiar lilt to it. And the fact that I would recognize it anywhere, having heard it incessantly over the past 16 years, from since I could identify sounds till the year before. 

Dana. 

I leapt out of bed and ran to her bed, "D? D? I heard you." I said, feeling the dregs of hope drain away as I took in the image of my sister, lying prone. Always prone. The despair gave way to silliness, so I kissed her forehead gently and whispered, "I'm coming for you, D. I'm going to save you."