alex

I held the blade in my dominant hand and went down the same path I am used to and waited for Hady

I held the blade in my dominant hand and went down the same path I am used to and waited for Hady. After a while, I began to feel as though I had overestimated the dangers of eversleep. The switchblade flicked out repeatedly as I fidgeted with it. I took comfort in the consistent sound it made and how it felt. Although, there was an uneasy feeling I couldn't shake. Of being watched.

"Alex?" I turned at the voice and saw Cam looking dishevelled.

"Cam," I answered, and before he had the chance to say anything else I said, "I know it's weird seeing me here. But this is part of eversleep, and I promised I would always find you."

"You- What? This is... This..." It was then he seemed to realize he brought something with him. He fumbled around in his coat and pulled out a gun.

"A gun?! How the hell did you get your hands on one of those?!" I demanded.

Instead of answering me, he pointed it away from us and pulled the trigger. A blast of electricity buzzed at the muzzle and he smiled. "Not a gun, Alex."

"Now watch this," He continued and adjusted a lever. The next time he pulled the trigger, a distant tree smoked. 

"Ultraviolet rays." He said with a flourish. 

"That is out of this world!"

"I know!"

We both enthused over it and I showed him my knife before we took turns with each other's weapons. I raised concerns that it might not work on the enemy and he responded by explaining it was something he picked up from a joke store; he didn't have anything more dangerous lying around. The insinuation would have stung, but I took pride in what I love.

When Hady appeared holding a bat, I went up to her and said the words I knew would take for her to wake. It was like performing a spell or a ritual, especially as the magic started to work and her consciousness took hold.

"Anything happen while you were waiting?" She asked.

"Cam." I gestured to her brother, "And you? While you were wandering around? See anything?"

Hady scrunched up her face as she dug around in her recent memories, "Aside from the usual shadows and confusion as to why I was holding this," She held up the generic looking bat, "No."

"I was just about to say, that looks like mine. Something I had when I was younger... I've always wondered where it went! Have you had it all this time?" Cam said.

"No, yes. I took it and hid it in the attic when you were being you." Hady explained with a smug look.

"Oh you think you are so smart." Cam said halfheartedly. "So, what now?"

"Now, we look for Daniel."

"Do you think it's safe? It's where you saw..." Hady trailed off.

"We gotta start somewhere. And that's where he's most likely to be."