danny

My whole body tingled with a flood of adrenaline caused by a sense of loss and a swift reprieve

"From our world?" I asked, "So it's true then, our government has some kind of alliance with you."

"Yes."

"Well? Are you going to tell us about it?" Alex demanded.

The everling looked at the others who were still whispering amongst themselves and seemed to decide then, "We have been harvesting humans long before time. The practice was a life for a life and we would trade one of ours for one of yours. It has made it into your mythology. You called them changelings. But as the ages pass, the traditions were lost and we began taking without leaving any in return." It took a breath before plunging deeper into its story.

"With your world's problem of overpopulation, we decided to approach your leaders and propose our terms. We would take some of yours to prevent a war for the energy resources that fuel both our planes."

"Who are you to take away free will? Couldn't you have created a portal with a huge sign saying 'travel to a different world through here'? There's so many things you could have done rather than take whoever you want at random, do you know how many families you have torn apart?" Alex said in a burst of fury.

"It was a small price to pay, for peace." The everling said tentatively, "Our worlds feed off the other's energy. And with your world depleting our resources, we had to find a way to survive. Do you deny us the right to live, child?"

I saw Hady place an arm on Alex's forearm, gently warning her against saying anything and as she remained silent, it continued.

"We gave them the serum Oxi to be administered to every newborn." This elicited a gasp from the girls, but I had something to say, "If you created the serum, why can't you give us the earth's version of the antidote?"

"We did not create that," It said, "You humans are prone to interfering in what you do not understand."

"But clearly, being such an advanced race, it wouldn't take much to re-create it?"

"We are at war, child. All our scientists have turned towards battle, and why should we create an antidote of no use to us... For a petulance whim?" It bore its eyes onto mine and I looked away.

"It opens a portal to midland." It continued, gesturing around us, "This, is midland. It is where everyone below the age of 18 has access to. It is able to determine who are the most suitable candidates for Everlore. The ones who are deemed fit for your society wanders through here till the neurological agent expires and-"

"But that's impossible. How can a-a virus teleport us here!" Alex asked.

"What is magic but a bit of technology?" It answered, "But your bodies remain where they are, organic matter, nothing that Everlore cannot recreate."