cam

Alex

Alex. There's this inexplicable and overwhelming surge of emotions towards her. I mean, there's always been this pull between us but other than just annoying my little sister, we don't really do much about it. Right now though, a fierce possessiveness has settled over my heart and I wanted to hear her voice so badly it was unreal. 

I stared at the shut door and raked my hair back with my fingers, letting my hands rest over my eyes while trying to recall that strange feeling. But it left when Hady came barging in and demanding revenge for the day before. She thinks the whole world is out to get her or that it revolves around her. Please. I only went in to check up on her because I couldn't shake the feeling that something's going to happen. 

A contributing factor to me wandering in was her talk about the dreams. Day in and day out she would go on about them until I finally told her off for being silly and superstitious. She's taken to the internet ever since and even though I was aware of her ongoing obsession, I didn't see the point in confronting her as she wasn't bothering anyone. But you can't listen to or watch someone with so much conviction and not be swayed at all. I wanted to see it for myself if it was as scary as she made it out to be and I gotta admit, I was a little sick to my stomach when she didn't groan at me when I shook her. She was squirming and whimpering and wouldn't respond to me trying to get her up. That was when I decided she could do with some excitement.Clearly, my fears were misplaced, as were my assumptions. I forgot what a killjoy and bad sport she is. Now she's going to look for every other opportunity to wreak havoc on my life. 

"Hey! Do you want a lift?" I hollered up the stairs while buttering some waffles mom was making. Maybe if I was nicer to her, she'd forget to be evil. 

"That's sweet of you, darling." Mom said and I grinned. If only she knew. 

It took a while but eventually Hady yelled yes back at me. 

"Have fun at school, sweetie. Cammy, drive safe!" 

"Who's Cammy?" I shot back at the house. I pretend to hate it when she calls me that, but I don't mind it very much and she likes thinking she's gotten under my skin for a bit of fun. So, I play my part. 

When Hady got into the car I eyed her and said, "Sleep well?" 

"Why do you care, Cam?" She grumbled a little, clearly still holding a grudge. 

"Of course I do, you're my widdy baybee shisturrr!" I reached out to her while using babytalk towards the end of my sentence but got a serious glare in return, even as I was ruffling her hair. 

"C'mon, lighten up, will ya?" 

"You seriously can't remember anything from last night?" 

I pause. "What am I supposed to remember?" 

"Forget it!" She mumbled, fidgeting with her phone. 

Frankly speaking, I might be the elder sibling but she's waaay more serious. So much so I'd pick on her myself if she wasn't my sister. When we were younger, she'd be in tears all the time over something I said that I didn't mean. Like, asking mom if I could get a puppy in place of a sister because Hady was ugly and smelly. Boy, did I get an earful for that. Then she got older and my sarcasm no longer worked and she'd try to condescend me. Always trying to best me, which is one part cute and three parts sad. Alex mellows her out, which makes her really cool. I've been trying for years now, and you've seen the damage I've done. 

Granted, I was the kind of big brother who would say, "I was the first and favorite child." And when asked, "So?" I'd go, "So, go make me a sandwich." Or, "Who is the smartest?" And when she eventually answers, "Me." I'd tell her she's wrong and that's why she's not. 

The rest of the ride was in silence as I've learnt to recognize signs of a lost cause when it comes to Hady. The subtle tilt of her head, the way she's angled her body away from me... She's going to be grumpy till time smooths it all over. 

"Thanks for the ride." She said below her breath before leaving, avoiding all eye contact which is another one of her hissy fit indications. 

"Hady! Hey, Cam!" Alex's familiar voice. I felt my heart constrict. At that same moment, Hady slammed the door. 

I was about to drive off but I heard them both arguing mutedly, so I popped open a window. 

"Everything alright?" I stuck my head out. 

"Yeah, fine." Hady replied unconvincingly, then Alex's face loomed in front of me as she leaned down. 

"Heya Cam, remember anything?" She asked. 

"Errr... No?" Why do they keep asking me that? "Did I get drunk last night with the both of you or something? If I did, I was probably smashed 'cause I have no damn clue what went on last night."

Disappointment flitted past Alex's face for the most fleeting moment before she straightened up and looked at Hady. 

"You didn't remember your dreams in the beginning either!" Alex argued. 

"Yeah, well, I don't want him to. Not until we know what's going on." 

Hello! I'm right here. I didn't really want to get involved, but I didn't want to seem like a dick for driving off either. So I settled for a harmless jab at Hady. 

"Had's roped you into believing her little fantasy is real, then? Alex?" I gave her a little side smile, the kind that usually makes people agreeable. But she wasn't having any of it. She bent down again, putting her hand on the rolled-down window and looked me in the eyes, urging me to believe her next words. 

"The dreams are real, Cam." 

We stayed there for what felt like an eternity wrapped in a minute. I searched her eyes for her never-ending jokes, but she only looked back in earnest. I've never really looked straight at her so intensely before. Partially because I didn't want to seem as though I was totally into my little sister's sidekick, and partially because I was afraid I would if I did. 

"Ahem." Hady coughed not too subtly and Alex stood up as though nothing had happened. As though she didn't feel the magnets and electricity or butterflies. Whatever they call it. It was out of this world. People always say they have never felt a certain way before and I'm always doubtful. Sure, there's always going to be a first time, but there's a first time for everything! Then, a second time and third and so on and so forth! People shouldn't make such a big fuss over it. Now here's MY but: but, I doubt I would feel the same thing with someone else ever again. 

First, they'd have to appear in my life without any romantic intentions. I'd treat her like a sister by default. She'd have to be unfazed by everything I did, and see me for who I really am. She'd be impressive in some way or another... I'd have to find her enchanting. She'd have to be Alex. 

I snapped out of it. Geez, that was out of the park. I'm sure it was just the after effects of a dream I had last night or something which has me romanticizing everything. Dream? 

"I think, did I dream of you?" The words came out before I could stop myself. Of course she wouldn't know if I dreamt of her or not! And now she's going to think I was a creep for it! But I could only run with it now, so I looked up at her pretty little face and waited. 

"Yes, Cam. And you were in mine." A little thrill went through me as she said it, "Along with Hady. Daniel. And Dana." 

Now that's just bizarre.