danny

"Don't you find it odd that the only people we've met are somehow related?" I asked the two girls who were adamant about finding Hady's brother, Cameron

"Don't you find it odd that the only people we've met are somehow related?" I asked the two girls who were adamant about finding Hady's brother, Cameron. "I mean, you're both best friends, and I happen to know a little more about eversleep because of my sister-"

"Now that you mention it," Alex interrupted, "We met here after our little chat. And Cam-"

"And Cam after he screamed at me, mid-dream..." Hady continued wonderingly. "Do you think it's all connected, somehow?"

"Honestly, I really can't give a shit right about now. It's getting a bit much isn't it? There are so many things we don't know, where do we even begin?" Frustrated, Alex sat down on the ground.

"For one, get up." Hady commanded, "We're going to find Cam, like we promised, and take it from there."

"Yeah, don't get me wrong..." Alex said while dusting herself off after getting to her feet, "I was all for Cam but it would be so much easier keeping this small, rather than adopting every new stray that we bump into. Let's stop at Cam, okay?"

"That would be prudent," I agreed.

"Yeah, after Cam, we'll just focus on finding answers. Not more wasting time." Hady said determinedly. "Hey. Look." She pointed to the tree we were all gathered around. For a moment my heart leapt because I thought Dana was here, but upon turning around to face it, I realized a little addition to our note.

Alex had stabbed it to the tree with a pen, rationalizing that whoever it was might not have one and that was the quickest way for the person to notice it was to use it as an anchor. But they hardly needed the consideration. Right next to the note was an arrow lodged into the trunk of the tree with a parchment hanging from it.

"What the f..." Alex was the first one to move towards it and she ripped the message off, "Friend or foe?"

A cold finger ran up my arms and down my neck painfully slow.

"That's not funny, Alex." Hady chastised, grabbing the note from her. The silence that followed spoke volumes.

"Ok, how about we forget this little experiment-" I began.

"No, we should say we're definitely 'friend'." Alex argued. "We can't keep going slow. Who knows what might happen tomorrow? Maybe I wouldn't wake up, or you," She looked at Hady pointedly. "Or you." She turned to look daggers at me.

"Look, we can argue about everything and get nothing done, or we can just go with the flow." I watched as Hady walk up to the tree and add to the original message: which are you?

Alex shook her head and rolled her eyes in disagreement and I shrugged. Can't hurt.

"Shall we look for Cameron now, then?" I asked. Neither of them answered but both started trudging towards the direction of where we found Hady's brother.