Chapter 9

I woke up to hear my phone going crazy, I rubbed my eyes as I leaned over to look at my clock, "who the heck is texting me at five in the morning," I say, followed by a groan.

I grab my phone to see that I had over ten messages from Kate, all about the same thing, "Our presentation is do TOMORROW!!! We have to finish our slides today."

I could tell that she was freaking out, "chill, if we don't finish it in class you can come over to my house and we can finish it here. Why are you up so early?"

As I wait for her to reply, I walk to my dresser and get dressed, "I like to get up early and watch the sunrise, will that be okay with your parents?"

"I'm sure they won't mind," I finish getting ready and lay in my bed.

"Okay, I'll tell my dad later, but I might have to stay a little late."

"How late?"

"My dad gets off at eight tonight and I don't live close enough to your house that I can just walk home."

"It should be fine, I honestly don't think my parents will care."

"Okay, I'll talk to you in first hour."

I shut my phone off and sat peacefully on my bed, until Tessa came rushing into my room, "guess what, guess what, guess what! Wait, why are you up so early?"

"I take it you aren't mad at me anymore," I laugh, "what's got you in such a good mood?"

"Ezra asked me out, we're getting milkshakes Friday before the game," she explained to me, nearly screaming and jumping through the roof.

"Nice," I say, and then I remember what Kate told me about a kid named Ezra, "what's his last name?"

"Cooper, why?"

"Kate thinks she might know him," she just got over being mad at me, I can't make her mad again, "do mom and dad know?"

"No, you know how they are with that kind of stuff, they want us to focus on school and college, please promise that you won't tell them," she begs.

"I promise," I tell her.

"How are things going with Kate?"

"I'd say we're friends now, her and her best friend got in a fight, so she pretty much hangs out with me," I explain, "do you think mom and dad would let her come over?"

"For a project, probably, to hang out, no," she says, "how late does practice run?"

"Ah shoot, I forgot about that, probably six," I say, "let's go to the kitchen."

We take our seats in the kitchen as usual when both our parents come rushing out, "sorry guys, you'll have to walk to school and home from practice and it'll probably be that way for a few weeks," our mom says frantically. She hands me a box, "that has a credit card, emergency phone numbers, and keys to the house, DO NOT lose them."

"What's going on," Tessa asks.

"My mom is in the hospital," our dad says.

"But she lives in a completely different state," I say.

"Which is why you guys will be on your own for a few days," my mom says, "by guys, call if you need anything," and then they were out the door.

"Well, you can have the extra set of keys, I'll put the phone numbers on the fridge, and I'll keep the credit card in my bag," I say to Tessa.

"Okay, I guess this means that I don't have to hide my date from them now."

"Let's just get to school."