Sneak Peak: Ominous

Here's a sneak peak of my next story...

"You're not the slightest bit curious about where people go once they're out there? What happens to them? What goes on? You're not curious about any of that?"

"No, I'm not, I can't believe you are! You're so reckless!"

I stab my steak with my knife, frustrated that my supposed 'best friend' wasn't agreeing with me, "I realize I'm wreckless, you've always told me that's what makes me unique and fun to be around!"

I watch him roll his eyes at me, struggling to cut his steak, "I still stand by those words, but I don't want to see you get hurt!"

"Andrew! I'm not a little kid! Our parents are out there! Aren't you just a little curious about if they're still out there?"

He looks at me with his uniquely colored eyes, a very vibrant purple. He leans across the table and lowers his voice, "you know we aren't supposed to talk about our families. When was the last time we even saw them? We had to have been like, less than two," he whispers in my ear.

I cross my arms and look at him, glare at him, "are you sure you're not jealous because I'm better than you?"

He looks at me with hurt in his eyes, "I can't believe you just pulled that card."

I stare into his eyes, feeling guilty. He shoves his tray away from him and walks away from the table, subconsciously, I get up and run after him, "Andrew!"

I chase after him, keeping my eyes locked on the back of his head. I start to run faster and eventually catch up to him, I touch his shoulder and he turns around, "Ariel, I need to be alone right now."

He pushes my hand off his shoulder, I look at him with a frown, "we've never seen the sun or stars, we've only seen pictures and holograms, we've only heard facts about them. We've never felt real grass or plants, only artificial one's. Don't you at least want to know about that stuff?"

He looks at me with his intoxicating eyes, "I want to stay where it's safe. I know that makes me a coward, but I'm not like you, I'm not fast, I'm not light on my feet," he frowns at the ground, "I can't even cut a steak."

He brings his eyes to mine, I don't break his gaze. I've always been shorter than him, a few inches, always, just enough for me to have to look up at him. "You don't have to be like me to be curious."

"I know, it's just, we've been taught horrible things about the outside world."

I finally break his gaze and stare down at my brown leather boots, keeping my feet protected from the rocky ground, "I know," I let my voice trail off and echo off the walls.

"I don't want anything to happen to you," he lifts my head up so that I face him, "promise me that you won't sneak out of here."

I stare at him, I feel the urge to close all of the space between us, but I know I can't, it would ruin our friendship. I know it would make things awkward, I know it would get both of us in trouble, "I promise," I say. Right after that, I pull away from Andrew and storm off to my room, realizing that I just promised away my dreams.