Chapter 17

We all get off the bus and circle around Mr. Parks, "it is currently 9:36 a.m. We will meat back here at 11:00 a.m. to get ready for our performance, after that, you can choose one of the various places over there," he points to a line of fast food places, "until 11:00 you can do whatever, and then after you guys eat lunch you can do whatever, but, we will meat back here at 8:00 p.m. to go to the awards, then we will leave for a subway or something for dinner and then home," he finishes, "you need to be in groups of at least four and make sure you keep track of time," he stops to think of anything else, "I'll stay on the bus, so if you guys have stuff you wish to leave then it will be safe, I think that is all, go do whatever."

Kate and I walk until we catch up with Sky and Tyler, "what should we do first," Tyler asks.

"Let's go to the booths," Sky shouts, the competitions we went to were like little fair, convention things, I got quite a few things from last years competitions.

"God, do you ever stop shopping," Tyler asks her.

"Nope," Sky says as she skips along, pulling Kate with her this time.

"What were you two doing behind us," Tyler asks me as we start after the girls.

"So, Kate shoved a donut in my mouth, I pulled the strings on her hoodie and we just started laughing and talking," I explain, giving him the short version.

We catch up with Kate and Sky at a jewelry booth, they were looking at some music themed jewelry and I had to admit, they looked pretty cool, "look at these," Kate says to us as she points to a few trombone necklaces.

"Interested," the lady in the booth asks her a moment later.

"Yeah, how much?"

"$25.00."

Kate pulls out a twenty and a five and hands it to the lady and takes the trombone necklace, "this is awesome," she says as she clips it around her neck.

"Yeah," I say, "how much money did you bring?"

"I have fifty for food and fifty for whatever I want here," she tells me.

We spend the rest of the time looking at various booths and decide to take a shot at the games after lunch. Our performance went pretty well, don't think we'll place first, but we definitely won't place last. Now I was with Tyler ordering burgers from a food truck, we were going to meat up with the girls at some benches nearby, "what's on your mind," Tyler asks me as we're standing in line.

"Huh?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Everytime Kate goes off with Sky, you start getting really silent," Tyler tells me.

"I just," I pause, "I want to know what they're talking about," I say.

"Why?"

"I know stuff about Kate that Sky doesn't," I say, "it's kind of how she broke out of her shell with me, she let me in. I want it to stay just a thing between me and her."

"Aw, come on," he stops to order his food, "I don't do all of this puppy love or lovey dovey stuff or anything like that, but I can tell that you and Kate love to be around each other."

I order my food and say, "she's an awesome girl and she's gone through some things that she doesn't deserve."

Once we both have our food, we walk over to some picnic tables and sit down, "what exactly did she go through?"

"Not my place to tell," I stop myself when I see Kate approaching behind Sky.

Sky sits next Tyler and Kate sits next to me, "hey," Kate says to me quietly.