Chapter 12

Sky and Tyler actually didn't stink at the entire presentation thing, Tessa got better really fast, she told me that Ezra hasn't bothered her at all, but I'm still cautious. We ended up getting a 90 percent on our presentation and the football game and after school practices were the same, except this time Tyler, Sky, Kate, and I all actually hung out the entire game. It was now Monday and, for once, I was actually excited to go to school. "Good morning," Tessa yelled as she ran down the stairs.

"Hey," I say, "why are you so happy?"

A giant smile took over her face, "so, you know how I've been practicing with the high school cheer leaders?"

"Yeah."

"Well, the captian of the dance team saw me practicing and she told me that I have a dancers body and offered to give me lessons for free so that I can try out for next year," by now, Tessa was jumping nearly two feet off the ground.

"Congratulations," I check my phone, "let's get going."

I walked into the doors of North River High to be greeted by Kate and Sky, I noticed that Kate was dressed differently than usual, "OMG, Aiden," Sky nearly yelled at me as she dragged me and Kate to the lunchroom where Tyler was saving a table.

"What's going on," I ask cautiously as I take a seat next to Tyler.

"Kate did amazing at her first debate," Sky said as she jumped up and down.

"Epic," Tyler said, "what do you guys even do?"

"Do you ever watch anything during the presidential elections," Kate asks.

"Do I look like a guy who would do that?"

"Well, it's like that, or it's like verbally giving a persuasive essay and you're rated on how well you do and it determines if you win the debate or not."

"Cool."

"Why are you two dressed up," I ask out of curiosity.

"You see," Sky starts, "I'm on the varsity volleyball team and the coach said that we had to dress up since we have a tournament today I didn't want to dress up and walk around by myself, so Kate and I went shopping yesterday after swimming for a little bit and got the outfits you see before you today," Sky steps back and twirls around to show her outfit and Kate stands awkwardly before sitting down.

"Do you guys dress up for every tournament," Tyler asks Sky.

"That's what we did last year. Are you guys ready for the homecoming game?"

"When even is that," I ask.

"Two weeks from this Friday."

"When's our first competition," Kate interjects, looking at me.

"The day after homecoming apparently" I answer.

"Hey, when's your tournament," Tyler asks.

"We leave at one."

"And I'll be stuck dressed in this too dressy for me all by myself," Kate mutters.

"Oh shut up, it won't be that bad."

"Yeah, yeah, we should probably head to class, we're probably going to be outside all of first hour," Kate says, we all get up and walk to first hour.

~~~

I walk into fourth hour and take my now usual seat next to Tyler and across from Kate, "hey Aiden," Tyler greets as I sit down, a mischievous look forming on his face.

"That's the look Tess gives me when she's about about to do something that's going to completely embarrass me," I say as I plop in my seat.

"You like the way Kate is dressed today, didn't you," he asks me with a smirk.

"God, Tyler," I say, slapping my forehead, "she looks nice, but don't think that way."

He laughs, "come on man, you can't stare at her like that and expect me not to think that way."

"God," I say again as I slam my head on the table.

"Hey guys," I hear Kate's voice say as the bell rings.

"Where have you been, little miss school nerd," Tyler asks.

"How are you in an advanced class?"

"Hey, just because I hate school doesn't mean I'm dumb."

"Quiet down class," Mrs. Bell said loudly, "you're presentations were pretty good, but now that we have read a few short stories, you guys will be writing your own collection of short stories until the end of the quarter. Your goal is to get three, any extras will be extra credit, I will hand out a packet of writing prompts for you guys to choose from, I will recommend that you aim to get one story done a week instead of procrastinating like the most of you do," she says, eyeing Tyler from the top of her glasses. "I will give you guys each Monday and Friday to work on your stories in class, Tuesday's through Thursday's we will be reading To Kill a Mockingbird," Mrs. Bell finishes explaining, "any questions?"

When no one says anything, she starts handing out copies of the book and pockets of various writing prompts, "god, I hate writing," Tyler complained as he took a book and packet from the center of the table.

"The why the heck are you in this class," Kate snapped at him, skimming through the packet.

"Because I'm too smart for a regulars class."

"Tyler," I say, "just do your work, I think you might actually like some of these."

"Like what"

I look at the very first prompt and read, "you and your friends are hanging out and hear a noise coming from the attic. You proceed the ladder while your friends wait at the bottom, but what you see, you will never forget."

"Sounds dumb," he says as he blows a piece of hair from his face.

"Here's an idea," Kate says, "you see a mirror and walk up to it, you see a duplicate of you in the mirror, but he isn't copying your movements, instead he's asking for help."

"Now that, I can work with," he says, reaching for a pencil.

"Which one are you doing," I ask Kate.

"Probably this one, 'why aren't you worshipping me, mortal?' 'Not interested, thanks.' Which one are you doing?"

"This one, 'I'm trying my best to be polite, but if you move that knife a centimeter closer to me I will tear you apart.'"

She laughed, "sounds accurate," she then got to work, god, this girl is doing something to me.