Chapter 16

"I call window," Kate says as she climbs on the bus, me following behind.

"Yeah, yeah," I say with a yawn.

We climb on the bus and choose the seat behind Sky and Tyler, "are you guys excited for today," Sky yells at us as we sit down.

"How are you not tired," Tyler asks her as he pulls his beanie over his face.

She yanks the beanie from his head and throws it to the seat behind us where Luke happened to be sitting, "god, Sky, you just made this a really long ride," I say as I slam my head back against the seat.

"You four really need to grow and be mature, I cannot wait to graduate," Luke says as he throws the beanie back at us, Tyler pushes Sky in the seat and yanks it out of the air.

"Wait, what grade are you in," Kate asks.

"I'm a senior."

"Oh," Kate says as she turns back around in her seat, "that explains a lot," she whispers to me.

"Alright guys," Mr. Parks says through a yawn, "I'm going to take attendance and then head to the other buses and then we'll leave."

He gets attendance done for our bus really quickly and leaves, Kate yawns and leans her head against the window, "tired," I ask.

"What do you think?"

"How early did you have to get up?"

"Two hours and thirty minutes before we had to be here, but I slept a little on the ride here."

"Where do you even live?"

"A while away."

"Does it have to do with your mom," she turns away from the window and looks me in the eye.

"Yes," she says. I have a bunch of questions rising inside of me, but I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable, "my dad wanted to get away from her, but he didn't want me to lose my friends."

"That must stink, leaving so far away and all."

"Yeah, it's a lot of work, but it makes me happy that my he'll do anything, as long as I'm happy," she relaxes and leans her head on my shoulder, making me go stiff.

"Yeah," I say.

"How's your grandma doing?"

I wasn't expecting that question, none of my grandparents lived in town and I didn't know any of them very well, it was always awkward for Tessa and I when they come over for the holidays, "I have no idea, I don't know her that well."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, my grandparents all live out of the state so Tess and I didn't grow up around them," I say as I shift around awkwardly in the seat, causing Kate to move her head.

The bus starts moving and Kate starts to slowly fall asleep, "sorry," she says.

"For what?"

She shrugs, "I don't know, I'm really only used to talking to Sky on these bus rides," she says in a barely audible voice.

She slowly starts to drift off, her head falling on my shoulder again. She was wrapped up in a school hoodie that was three times her size, I felt myself drifting off a while later.

~~~

"

Wake up," I heard Sky's voice say.

"What the flip Sky," Kate said as she leaned up and off of me.

"Breakfast," she said with a look saying that we're dumb. I looked out the window to see that all three buses were stopped in a gas station parking lot.