seven

oh my god it's been 2 days and a5's already hit 5k reads. you guys I just omg you're all terrific and your comments make me smile so much ahhhhhh I can't say thank you enough, really and ahead of time, what you're about to read is completely made up bc quite frankly idk how it works

dedication to @cockyclifford for being adorably slow ;-)

tooooooooooo deeeeeeee chappppppppterrrrrrrrr

»

Her eyes opened only to close again. A bright light was shining in her eyes, brighter than any a window could make or even the ceiling light above her bed that her mum used to turn on to wake her up for school. It was way brighter.

She opened her eyes, but shaded the light by putting a hand in front of it. It was a flashlight, held by a man that was not Luke. He was fast asleep next to her. She dug an elbow into Luke's side and mumbled his name, and after much reluctance, he groggily sat up. His shirt was wrinkled and his hair was flattened. The man shifted onto another foot. Then it clicked in her head. He was a police officer.

"Would one of you be so kind as to explain why you're trespassing on a closed property?"

Emma looked at Luke with wide eyes, who was now wide awake and looking at Emma in the same way, before she stood up and threw her arms around the officer. He stiffly stood still, not moving an inch as she blurted out a million thank yous. "We were trapped in here and couldn't figure out how to get out. Oh, thank god you're here," she mumbled into his blue collared shirt. He quietly asked her to get off of him before slapping some metal cuffs on her wrists.

"You, get up," he said to Luke, who raised his hands over his head and stood. "You two are under arrest for breaking and entering. I received an anonymous tip that someone saw flashing lights in this pharmacy past closing hours." The torch. Luke looked at Emma with a guilty expression on his face and she frowned, wincing as the handcuffs stabbed her wrists. The officer cuffed Luke. "Let's go, you two."

They followed behind the officer silently, staring at each other with scared eyes. A cop car was stationed right outside the building and Emma eyed her own vehicle, wishing she could just drive home instead. Luke saw his own car and he itched to run away from the cop, hop in, and drive away. With Emma, of course. The officer put them in the back of his car and Emma scooted far away from Luke, her cuffed hands in her lap, her eyes out the window. Luke figured this must be her first time ever getting arrested, so he laid off her.

They showed up at the police department not too long after, and she was buzzing. Never had she ever been so nervous in her life, and, God, she didn't want to call her mother and tell her this happened. Maybe it's a dream. She pinched her knee but cringed; it wasn't a dream. Emma's mind was circling with what might happen when she feels a hand - or, rather, two - on top of hers. She bit her lip and looked at him, to find him nod at her assuringly. The officer walked around the car and open Emma's door for her, pulling her out. She lost grip on Luke's hands.

"Let's go," the man said gruffly, tugging the purple haired boy out of the car, as well.

Emma sighed, "Sir, I can assure you I'd never, ever, break into a pharmacy. Look at my record, I had straight A's in grade four! Don't I get one phonecall? Am I going to be charged because I just spent all my money on Starbursts. Luke's a good kid, too! He went to college. Oh, my god, my mum's going to punch me in the face when she finds out. I mean, not literally, because that'd be child abuse, but, like, I'm gonna' be in so much trouble. Just let us go. Will you let me call my mother? Or should I call my sister, because she won't yell at me. Yeah, she'd probably just laugh. I'm going to hell, aren't I? Oh, just put me in solitary confinement. I'm a terrible person-"

"Em," Luke spoke from next to her, "shut up."

The officer tried to hide his smile as he lead the two over to a phone with two coins. He took Emma's phone and keys, then Luke's. Luke leaned against the wall next to the little telephone, while she stepped up first. Her eyes glimmered with tears as she inserted the coin and dialed the number, hearing the tone on the other end to signal it was ringing. He watched as she spoke into it quietly, crying now because who wouldn't get emotional after getting arrested for the first time?

She wiped at her eyes. "Hey, Mum," she murmured, "it's Emma. Yeah, I'm okay. Listen, I'm sort of in jail right now. No, don't freak out, I didn't do anything bad. Just come get me and I'll explain in the car, alright? I know. I love you, too, Mummy." Luke couldn't help but notice how vulnerable she looked when she hung up the phone and hung her head low for a moment, before handing the other coin to him and moving to where he was standing. He put the coin in the machine and dialed.

"Hullo," the voice on the other end mumbled from sleepiness. It was, according to the police officer's cruiser dashboard, about four in the morning. When Luke told him who it was, the answerer replied, "The hell, Luke, why are you calling me at fuckin' half four in the morning?"

Luke sighed and leaned his head against the coolness of the plastic barrier surrounding the phone. "Shut up, Ash, and listen to me for a minute," he grumbled, seeing Emma looking at him curiously, obviously listening despite her still shedding tears occasionally. "I'm in jail."

It was silent for a moment. "You fucking idiot."

"Damn it, Ashton, just come bail me out," Luke sighed whilst running a hand down his face. "I'll pay you back this time, I promise. I just got my paycheck. Fuck, I never got my hairdye." He looked at Emma to find her rolling her eyes. "I'm at Surry Hills."

Ashton sucked in a breath before he heard some shuffling on the other end and the sound of Michael groaning from being awoken from his slumber, then Ash explaining to him why he was waking him up in the middle of the night - because "Luke's a fucking moron" - then moving to Calum and Luke's shared room to wake up Cal. Eventually Ashton told him they were on their way before hanging up. He placed the phone on the hook before turning to the police officer and nodding.

He took the two back into a room where the cliche black barred rooms, two to be exact, were on either side facing each other. The officer placed Emma in one, then Luke in the other, removing the handcuffs from their wrists. At first, she just stood there and stared at the man as he sat down and began writing into a notepad. Luke took a seat on the floor up against the bars, sitting criss-cross. Emma just stood still, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Now really," the gruff officer spoke, "why were you at the pharmacy?"

She rolled her eyes and sat on the wood bench, "We were stuck in there. Believe me or not, I don't care, but I know the truth," she muttered, bringing her legs to her chest. Then he asked for their names so he could put it on the paperwork. "Emma King."

Luke looked up at her in shock, before acting normal. "Luke Hemmings."

The officer smirked before picking up the papers and filing them in a large metal cabinet, then standing up and walking towards the door. "Try not to have eye sex in the cell," he said loudly before walking out, two middle fingers shooting at him on his way out.