eight

ok so 7k. that is u n b e l i e v a b l e. you guys are so incredible and you never fail to make me smile. literally every morning I wake up and check my emails to see if you guys left any comments, I reply to all! you're so perfect and beautiful and idek who I'm going to give dedication to bc I want to give you all it ok is that allowed it should be

dedication to @irwintrs for catching onto something (a little foreshadowing, if you must) that very few people caught onto. if you want to go back and look at her comment on chapter sechs, be my guest. but I wouldn't recommend it; it'd ruin the surprise. @sugxrcube, @machinery, and @jadatomlinson24 caught onto it as well hA LAUGHIN AT U GUYS THAT'RE IN THE DARK

ok that's enough tormenting you here you go

HEY GUESS WHAT I KNOW CALUMS FUCKING KIWI AND SCOTTISH gO SUCK MY DICK BYE

»

"I cannot believe we're in jail right now."

Emma sighed for the umpteenth time the whole night and Luke watched her stand up, pacing back and forth in the cell. He wanted to sit her down and hold her and tell her that she'll be okay, that her mum will understand, that she'll never have to get into trouble with some purple haired college dropout again. But he couldn't. Because they were separated by two sets of black bars.

The door swung open, revealing a much nicer looking officer. "Ehm," he started, looking between the two before his eyes landed on Luke longer. "Mr. Hemmings?" Luke nodded, standing from his spot on the floor and wiping off his bum, saluting Emma as the officer - Tom - unlocked his cell and pushed him through the small doorway, leaving her alone. But not for long. Tom reappeared moments later and sat down at the desk, with Emma still standing there pitifully.

"I didn't sneak in," she said confidently, and he looked up. "Both of us got stuck in there and couldn't get out, and I know that sounds, like, really dumb, but it's true. The doors were securely locked and neither of us have ever worked in a pharmacy, so we don't know what goes on. I promise, sir, I'd never commit a crime, ever." Emma was aware how goody-goody she sounded, but she needed someone to believe her and Luke.

He pushed his glasses up his nose. "I believe you, Ms. King," he spoke, "but there's nothing I can do about it. If there were, I'd have your ass out of here by now. Unfortunately, I'm new here and have no say in anything whatsoever." Tom scrunched up his face unattractively. She huffed and moved to sit down on the bench, listening to the sounds of their breathing and his foot tapping against the cement floor. Then his walky-talky sounded. "Alright, kid. Your mum's here."

Emma stood up nervously and waited for him to unlock the door and let her out while biting her lip out of nervousness. Her eyes wandered from the cell to the door, wondering whether being in that cell would be better than getting screamed at or not. She didn't think it through too much. Tom opened the door and let her through, and she practically ran out the way she came with him behind her. It didn't take long to find her mum in the lobby. Without a second thought, she ran into her mother's arms.

"Mummy, I swear I didn't do anything wrong," she cried quietly into her mum Robin's shoulder, holding her around the waist and allowing her mother to cradle her like she used to. "It was all a big misunderstanding and they think I broke into the pharmacy with this boy, but I didn't and - I'm just so glad you're here. I want to go home." No real tears escaped her eyes but she was whining and she was just so happy to be in her mum's arms and not in that damn pharmacy. She had no regrets hanging out with Luke in there, but he was right; they were going to go back to their own lives and forget about each other, no matter how hard she promised she wouldn't leave him.

Robin shook her arm slowly. "I know, sweetheart, the officer explained it all," she said, pushing her daughter away slightly to point at the original officer who took the two into custody. He smiled at her and she smiled back. "Not to alarm you, but there's a couple of boys staring at you from across the room. A proper bunch of assholes, I'll bet you." Emma turned slowly, to find Luke and three others sleepily standing with him.

Emma wanted to explain that he wasn't an asshole; he was Luke. But all she did - since she figured she couldn't get into much more trouble - was turn her back away from Robin and walked over to the lads staring at her wildly. Luke smirked, while the other three shot each other looks quizzically.

"You survived," he joked and she cracked a smile, making him happy altogether. "Now you can say you're a real time crook who went through alcatraz and back." Emma pushed him playfully, glancing back to see her mum filling out papers. "That's your mum?"

She nodded, smiling softly. "Yup," she replied. "These are your mates?"

"Yup," Luke teased, and Emma blushed, both of them sharing this little eye contact thing that usually she would yearn to snap out of but it was almost like she was in a trance or something, swimming in the blue of his eyes. Then there was a clear of the throat. "Oh, right, right. This is Calum," Emma noted the Asian one was Calum, "Michael," he had pink hair - it must've been his hair dye they used on Luke, "and Ash." The last one had curly hair.

She looked over the three. "Calum, Michael, Ash. I'm Emma."

Michael shook his hair out of his eyes and nodded, "We know," and then laughed knowingly, Ashton joining in teasingly, nudging Luke. Emma raised an eyebrow and giggled, checking on her mum. Still doing paperwork. "Luke's told us all about you." Butterflies started on her heart and she laughed, but on the inside she was freaking out. He was talking about her! She tried to disregard that Luke's cheeks were actually blushing, but it was really hard.

"What did he say?"

Luke's eyes widened and he desperately looked around and behind her, gladly finding a reason to change the subject. "Oh, look at that," he laughed nervously, "your mum's finished the papers." Emma laughed loudly at his sudden reason to find distraction. Calum slapped his back before the other three boys left the building, leaving Luke, Emma, and, well, Emma's mum. "I guess this is goodbye."

"Here," she said, before turning around and going up to her mum, reaching into the giant purse dangling from Robin's arm and pulling out a piece of scratch paper and used the pen on the counter to write down her number. She ran back over to Luke and handed it to him, smiling. He opened his arms and she moved to wrap her's around his neck, his around her waist.

Something about the way that their bodies just . . . clicked together like a puzzle really made Luke's insides turn nervously. He'd never felt really good feelings about a girl before like this, and Emma's made him realize that he liked it. He liked the way her hair smells and the way she bites on her lip when scared. He liked the way she laughs extremely loudly and wasn't afraid to laugh at perverted jokes like some girls were. He liked her and he was so ready to see her again