Chapter ten

I threw the paper on the ground, and ran out the house. I can't believe I'm running after this guy. Am I? I don't even think I'm running after Jeff...I'm just not determined enough to do that for him but yet I'm sprinting across the empty road. Maybe to find Vivian? See my neighborhood? What happens when I do see him? I didn't pack any food, much less a weapon. I finally stopped after about 15 minutes, as I attempted to catch my breath. I wasn't exactly a track runner.

The sun was beginning to rise. I collapsed on the ground. Why am I even doing this? A car came down the road towards my limp body. I sighed, and waited for the car to crush the life out of me. I closed my eyes tightly, but instead I was met with somebody picking me off the ground. I immediately pretended to be sleeping.

"Yeah, Mason, there's a girl here. She appears to be in decent condition, but she's out cold. Do you think she's a runaway?" The man calls out. I opened my eye a bit and snuck a glance at this guy. He looked in his early 20s with the side of his head shaved, small brown eyes, and a small lip ring. And according to his uniform, it looks like he's some sort of park ranger for the forest.

"Justin, why would a girl like that runaway to a forest like this? Besides, there would've been reports of this girl from the neighborhood over," Mason called back. The guy, named Justin apparently, chuckled.

"What should we do? I mean, should we take her to the station and question her?" Justin asks.

"Probably not the best idea. Let's get her breakfast, first," Mason called back. I felt Justin lightly put me in the backseat. What have I gotten myself into? A free breakfast.

The car went to a stop. I opened my eyes, and saw we were at Waffle House. Justin opened the door and smiled. Woah, he's hot.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"Ranger Smith, or Justin since nobody calls me that anyway," Justin said. I nod.

"Come inside, and we'll explain some things if you can answer some. Is that fair?" Justin asks.

"I...I guess," I said pretending not to know what's going on. I got a good look at Mason, and I was surprised. He looked a lot alike Justin, except he has a buzz cut with dead blue eyes.

"Good, because we're buying you breakfast," Justin laughed as he opened the door for me. I let out a small chuckle. I stretched myself before going inside. We sat in a booth with both Mason and Justin facing me.

"So...let's start off small. What's your name?" Mason asked.

"Y/N," I admitted. Justin wrote that down in his notebook.

"Full name, please," said Mason.

"Y/N L/N," I say. Mason sighed.

"Why were you in the road? Sleeping?" Mason questioned. I felt panic fuel inside me. I looked around the room for an excuse.

"Are you okay?" Justin asked dropping his notebook on the table. I shook my head, as I started crying. Wow, this act is fooling them both. Huh, who knew.

"Maybe we should talk with her after she eats?" Mason asked. Justin nodded. The waitress arrived with a perky expression on her face.

"What may I get for you?" The girl said in a heavy country accent.

"My brother and I are good with waters, but the girl would have the waffles along with a side of hash browns and orange juice," Justin said. I haven't had that in so long, oh my god.

"I was held hostage," I spoke up. Justin scrambled to get his notebook. Technically, that was the truth except I had the opportunity to leave several times. I wiped fake tears from my eyes to make it more believable.

"By whom? Why? Where? When?" Justin said quickly.

"I um...don't know his name. Why? Because he's a sick parson. Where? I'm not sure, I ran in a random direction when I escaped. When? Ever since he killed my brother...so a long time I guess," I blurted out. At least I blocked out his name and location, so I'm not a complete traitor. Justin looked shocked, while Mason had an expressionless face.

"Let's go to the station, Y/N," Mason said.

"B-but my waffles," I say looking back inside.

"We'll get you more waffles. All the waffles you can think of. Let's go," Mason said pulling me to the car. I just wanted a free breakfast.

I update so slow, how are you guys even still reading this at the pace I'm going? Whatever your reasons are, thanks❤️