Chapter thirtyfour

I woke up screaming. I wiped cold beads of sweat off my forehead and panted. Jeff covered my mouth, and I realized he was carrying me. I still kept my tense form. Tears steamed down my red face.

"You couldn't stay asleep for a few more minutes?" He whispered to himself. This guy. I squirmed out of his grasp, and he didn't fight back.

"You're not killing me," I say shakily, trying to be intimidating.

"Who said I was?" He said blankly. I gaped at him.

"B-but--you...earlier you were! And...," I stammered. Jeff took me by the wrist and pulled me with him. Wind blew harshly, and tangled my hair with it. I didn't recognize the place I was in at first. I heard distantly water hitting rocks. I looked at Jeff concerned. This was the river next to my neighborhood. Thousands of kids over a span of 30 years drowned here. Jeff still had his grip on me, and forcefully sat me down on the very edge of the river. The current was stronger than it usually is. Jeff looked at me humorously. I turned away from him.

"Scared, princess?" he joked. Yes, who the hell wouldn't be? He sighed and held my shoulders tightly. His bony fingers dug into my collarbones.

"You're the king chess piece, you know?" Jeff said distantly. His fingers dug deeper, and I let out a small wince. Chess pieces?

"J-Jeff. Stop," I pleaded.

"I took out all of your useless ponds, destroyed your queen, and your little soldiers. You're standing in the middle of the chess board, and I'm here. I have all of my soldiers by my side ready to attack on command. You are in the middle, and to your right is me. If you turn left, you are faced with a little pond who you can't underestimate it for it's worth. If you turn back...well, if you turn back you're faced with my entire army. You're surrounded," he whispered in my ear. I elbow him in the stomach.

"Jeff...I'm not a-afraid of you," I croaked out.

"I'm glad we had our last kiss together. It was wonderful, but overall bittersweet. I'm glad you're dressed for the occasion, love. I really don't want to do this, but you can't just waltz into my head and make me soft," Jeff said darkly. I held my breath as he said that. I turned around to him. I grabbed his face and made him look at me.

"Listen, asshole, you can't just do this because you feel weakened. I'm the weak one. You did so much for me. I know somewhere you still saved some of your sanity," I whispered to him. Jeff chuckled lightheartedly. He stared at me for a solid 30 seconds before his expression darkened.

"Checkmate," he whispered. He then pushed me into the lake. My screams were muffled with water. I splashed around trying to get up for water, but it was so strong. I screamed as water filled my lungs. I finally got up to the surface until my foot got stuck.

"C'MON!" I yelled as I was forced underwater again. I tugged at my foot, but it didn't seem to work. I looked around and screamed. I saw bones; thousands of bones. They're the bones of the missing kids. I felt my heart burn a little, and my head began to get heavy. I had a panic attack underwater, and tried endless ways to try and survive. Then, I just gave up. Theres no point anymore.I looked around for the last time, and let death consume me slowly.

--

I opened my eyes, and screamed. I looked around me scared to death. I...I was bathing. Did I just dream? When did I dream? Is Jeff real? Is everyone dead? I got out of the bath quickly, and put on my robe. I was in the apartment. Holy shit. It's real. Jeff was drinking a beer while on his laptop. He saw me and practically spit out his beer.

"You could've asked me for a change of clothes, Y/N," he mumbled sluggishly, "although I like this look." Just the Jeff I remembered. I rolled my eyes.

"I was just checking if I were dreaming or not," I mumbled closing the door. I looked in the mirror, and gasped. I no longer had my pixie cut. What is going on...? I noticed the change of clothes I probably already had in here. I put them on, and walked out the bathroom. Jeff was putting on his coat as if he was going out.

"You're going out in that condition?" I say humorously. Jeff shrugged.

"I'll be at the bar, you should know by now, anyway try not to get yourself killed," Jeff said kissing my forehead. Didn't he just try to kill me? I noticed the couch was littered with beer bottles. I guess he wed right. He has been getting drunk for awhile...while I've been living a nightmare.