Isn't She Lovely - Chapter 2

• Dedicated to My Daddy (RIP)

“Do, ray, me, fa, so, la ,te, do."  I heard my Mum’s beautifully soothing voice sing, to her student from the top of the stairs while I eavesdropped.  I loved listening to my Mum give singing lessons;she gave them to so many interesting people from philosophers to sweet old ladies that live on our block I wish I could sing, you would think I could with my mum being a singing teacher, but  I am absolutely  horrid. I swear this one time at a dinner for my Auntie's birthday, I nearly shattered a glass  just by singing Happy Birthday to her.

“Do, ray, me, fa, so, la, te, do." I heard an angelic voice sing back to her.  I didn’t understand why this person needed singing lessons.  I crept down the stairs trying to hide myself behind the banister.  I was small for a 9 year old, but if they looked over close enough they would probably see me.  That's when I saw a young lad barely older than me, sitting on my mum's piano bench rehearsing everything she said back to her.  He had curls galore all over his head, he smile stretched from ear to ear creating dimples and his eyes were some of the greenest I have ever seen.

“Sarah,"  My dad called to me. "Stop bugging your mum while she has a client."  Disappointment fell over my face as I made my way back up the stairs.  Don't get me wrong I love my Dad, but he didn't let me have as much fun as my Mum.

"Sarebear, come here, I want you to meet somebody!" My mum called gently.  I think she knew I was still listening from the top of the staircase.  I slowly crept into the living room and the boy the mystery curly haired boy was still sitting there beside  my Mum on her  piano bench.

“Sarah, this is Harry.  He is our new neighbor and I am going to be giving him singing lessons."

“Hi Sarah," he smiled showing off his dimples. His smile was something else, it was wide, his teeth were perfectly straight and as white  as  pearls.  

"Hello." I responded.  I froze as I looked into his eyes. They were even better up close.  There were a perfect mix of emerald and hazel.  I stuttered while I tried to spit out his name. " Haz..a" whoops I almost said the colour of his eyes instead of his name. “Harry, I mean."

“Already giving him a nick name Sarebear?"  My mum giggled. Ever since then  Harry and I were best mates or, as my mum would say, Sarebear and Hazza.

As we grew older we only grew closer;  we congratulated each other on the best moments in  our lives  and  helped each other through the hardest moments.  In my case, the worst and hardest moment there ever was going to be in life, and only at the age of fourteen, was the year I lost my mom.

"Sarebear.." Harry knocked on my door gently. I didn’t reply, my head was tucked into my pillow.  I hadn't left my bed in a week and I hadn't spoken to anyone.

“Please leave." I mumbled into my pillow.

“I can't do that." He said sincerely.  I felt a warm hand on my back, it moved in circles and gave me the reassuring feeling.  It reminded me of my mum.  I immediately sat up. Just thinking of my mum shot a piercing pain through my heart.  I had never imagined my life without her and I still can't. That's why I have been laying up in my room for ages, well ever since I got the news.  It wasn't like I had time to prepare myself for her death, there was no warning; just a drunk driver on the wrong lane and my mum coming back from the grocery store.  I didn't want anything in life that reminded me of my mum, ever again. It was just too painful. That feeling when your stomach is churning and no matter what you do you can’t stop that horrible feeling in your gut. What is worse is the feeling in your heart though, no matter  how many tears  you cry or how many hugs you get nothing can feel that empty feeling-nothing can bring her back. "Don't do that Harry and don't call me Sarebear."

"I'm sorry Sare.. Sarah, I know this is tough but you'll get through this, we'll get through this."  he hugged me.

“You don't have to get through this Haz, I lost my mum, you didn't.” I sobbed. I was jealous of him; he had his family and even an extra parent. Since his parents were divorced her had his mum, step-dad and dad, plus Harry even  had a sister. Now just a lonely girl, with only one parent and no siblings. I always wished that I would have a younger brother or sister but it never happened  and now it never would, at least not with my mom.