The Cold War

I stood there as the seamstress went over my dress. I could feel her hands under my breast and moving them down over my ribcage and lower on my stomach, checking how the chiffon fabric hung. She hesitated at my hips.

 “When was the last time you tried on this dress?” the seamstress asked as she held pins in her mouth.

 “About a month ago after the first alteration.” I answered her.

 “You’ve lost weight. I’m gonna’ need to take it in again on both sides.” I didn’t say anything. I just held my arms out to the sides and admired the beautiful dress in the mirror.

 “It’s none of my business but you really shouldn’t lose any more weight. God, you’re already small framed. This won’t even fit you anymore if you do. It’s a gorgeous Saint Laurent. You have exquisite taste. And your shoes…very nicely done. See? See, dear? I can’t pull this back in any further without changing the lines of the dress. This wedding is in five days. For the sake of the bride, don’t lose anymore weight.” I let the seamstress lecture me as I stood there and watched her re-pin the dress that was now about three centimeters too big for me. I turned slightly as she instructed and gasped.

 “Ooooh, Veronica!” I doted over her and burst into a smile as she came out of the dressing room with another seamstress. Veronica beamed.

 “Second alterations worked out very well!” Veronica was smiling so hard it hurt her face. She looked like an ethereal princess with her cathedral length train that went on for ages and the delicate lace around her neck and down her arms.

 “Veronica!” I said again happily. The seamstress and her assistant put her on the pedestal in the floor with her shoes to check the length. They spread out the train and it flowed dramatically behind her. Veronica reached down and put her hand on her abdomen, turning slightly sideways.

 “Lydia, do you think I’m showin’?” Veronica asked me a bit nervously. I examined her closely.

 “Maybe a little but not much. Maybe they could let it out some and hide it?” I asked her.

 “Are you expectin’?!” the seamstress asked Veronica.

 “I am! Yes! Yes, I am. I just found out. I haven’t even been to the doctor yet.” Veronica explained.

 “Oh well, congratulations, dear.” The seamstress said. “Where’s the veil?” she asked.

 “Yes, and where’s your pashmina?” the other seamstress asked me as the assistant continued to work on Veronica’s train.

 “They’re both hanging by the door.” I said.

 “Oh! God, black velvet. This is a beautiful pashmina. The clasp is just divine. This will be breathtaking wrapped around you at the alter with her. And when you show all these rhinestones at the reception…. I’d hate be any man in the room except the groom. This velvet will hide the neckline during the ceremony.” The seamstress commented as she got my velvet pashmina and Veronica’s veil. She embarrassed me a little, making me blush. “And look. This slit is cut higher than this. You adjust it with these eyelets under the chiffon and silk. Leave it low for the ceremony but then unfasten all of them.

 “Now, you. Beautiful bride you are. Just beautiful. Look at this veil.” The other seamstress pulled the veil over Veronica’s face and let the rest of the tulle hang freely as she adjusted it.

 “Guess, I shouldn’t have chosen white, huh Lydia?” Veronica and I laughed.

 “You look…oh shit…you just…you’re perfect Veronica.” I sighed. “John’s a lucky man. And I’m so lucky to be standin’ here with you.”