[epilogue]

Unconditionally by Katy Perry 🔝

______________________________________

Zac's P.O.V

IT WAS another new day as I sauntered through the gates of Hartford High. A huge smile was plastered on my face, yet my insides screamed the complete opposite. Truth be told I was not alright. Heck, I hadn't had enough sleep after what happened at Lindsey's house.

I still couldn't believe that she didn't want anything to do with me. It almost felt like a dream when she had said those words to me. I could still remember, her indifferent eyes pushing me away from her all at once.

After having said all those words, I wanted to give up on her. I wanted to give up on us. But deep down, something was nagging me, telling me that perhaps I could try one more time. It was telling me that perhaps I still had the chance to win her back the right way.

But I was scared shitless. What if I failed again? Then what? Would it mean that I wouldn't have a chance with Lindsey? That my last chance would really be my last chance? Maybe I was overthinking this too much, or maybe this would be my reality after the stunt I was willing to pull just for her.

Good thing, no one recognised me as I walked, or everyone would go bonkers or would ask me if I've gone bonkers. Either way I was not doing this for the attention or for others, I was doing this for her. The girl of my dreams.

I dropped my bag off in an empty class and headed to the place I needed to position myself. I began to act natural, doing what I did and constantly checking over my shoudler to see if she would arrive. I wonder what was keeping her?

After a while, a few students began pointing fingers, some even saying snide remarks. Only then had I realised that she had arrived and the students' welcoming was not as pleasant as I thought it would be.

I continued to play my role, until I could feel her presence behind me. It took me all my strength not to turn around and just embrace her, keep her safe from the hurt the world constantly threw at her. I continued playing my role, and decided to spice things up that might catch her attention. After tons of mess, I finally got her attention.

"Hey. You do know that headphones are not allowed on the job, right?"

Yeah, I knew that rule quite well, but I just wanted to annoy her.

To make her more annoyed, I add more water and continue to mop the same spot. I will probably clean this up after.

"Excuse me. Will you at least look at me?"

I don't respond. Instead I wait for her to do what I wanted to. And she does. I feel her fragile hold on my arm as she turns me so that we faced each other. At first she seems confused, until her mops drops to the floor, as her hands fly to her mouth. I thought she would be surprised, but I'd never thought that she would be this surprised.