Chapter XXXVI: Of Two Boys

"For the last time, Potter, NO!" Draco snapped, seconds away from punching Harry. "But why not? I can't do it, okay? I've tried, Malfoy. Why can't you just do it for me?" Harry asked for probably the fifth time. His potions essay was still incomplete. He'd done only two out of the required five feet. He knew that Malfoy was good at potions. It was perhaps the only class in which Hermione wasn't at the top.

"Malfoy, please, why can't you do it?" The chess between them had been completely forgotten about. "Because, it's not my homework, you idiot. I've already done mine." The blonde replied.

"That brilliant! I'll just copy yours!" Harry said, looking pleased with his idea. Draco fixed Harry with a cold glare. "Potter, what on earth makes you think that I'll allow you to carry forward with this idea of yours?"

Harry's shoulders sagged slightly. "Here I thought we were getting along. But you're not even willing to help me with some homework! That's what friends are supposed to do, Malfoy." He hid his grin and put on his best pitiful expression. "Please, just help me out this one time." Harry knew that they were starting to become friends and what kind of friend would he be if he didn't use that to his advantage?

He heard the other boy sigh, visibly annoyed. That's when he knew he'd won. He had far too much practice against Hermione to lose this game. 5...4...3...2....1... and: "Fine, this one bloody time."

"Now go get your books, Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes at the order. Someone was clearly very bossy. "Of course, Your Highness. Might I be so bold as to suggest that we move to the library? Or is it too much work for His Lordship?" He sarcastically asked, bowing low.

"Just come on," said Draco. "Get your books and come to the library. Be quick about it. I haven't got all day." Harry wanted to point out that it had been Draco's idea to stay back and play chess after training. But he didn't say that. "Certainly, Your Royal Bossiness."

In the library, they settled down far away from the Monster Book of Monsters. Harry wasn't willing to risk it again. "Here," he said, pushing his parchment towards Draco. The blonde shoved it back towards him. "I'm not doing it for you, Potter. I'll help you out. That was the deal, in case you're forgetting.

Harry groaned but didn't say anything. Something was better than nothing at all. For the next three hours, they worked on the essay together. Harry had to admit, Draco was exceptionally good at potions.

"So what will you do once the term begins?" Harry asked, as he wrote down the characteristics of the shrinking potion. "What do you mean, Potter?" Draco inquired, not looking up from the book he was reading. "I mean that news of your father's.... confinement made headlines weeks ago. People will talk, won't they. So what do you plan to do?"

Draco out the book down and glared at Harry. "You, Potter are the most tactless person I've ever come across." When Harry was unperturbed, he turned his gaze away and shrugged. "I don't know. They'll talk, that's for sure. But there are a few who don't care. Blaise doesn't think any differently, nor does Theodore. People can talk for all I care." He said.

Harry didn't ask anymore questions about it because it was obviously a sensitive topic.

Twenty minutes later, Harry pumped his fist in the air and slammed his textbook shut. "Yes! I've done it!" He exclaimed, barely restraining himself from doing a little victory dance. "You're welcome, Scarhead." Draco commented sarcastically, looking slightly amused.