Chapter 2

You squint your eye's as you exit the building into the blinding sun, London wasn't always bright these day's due to the invention of coal factories and such. So it was rare to have a sunny day such as today even if the clouds were still evident in the sky above. Your eye's quickly scan the street's with a cautious look before you look across the street towards Mrs.Lovett's.

You smile softly before shrugging and waiting for the carriage to pass by before making your way to the bakery. You're one of the only customers that Mrs.Lovett truly has and you don't exactly eat her pies, only buy what you can to help her dwindling business. She says it herself 'They're the worst pies in London'.

You get to the double doored bakery and you step inside before shutting the door. A pair of eyes rise from the flour covered table in front of the door, the woman smiles instantly as she see's you "(y/n) my dear! Wha' brings you here?" She asks with a bright smile before she looks back down to her dress as she wipes off her hands on her dress since she's never worn an apron. She comes over to you walking around her table wrapping her arms around you and you giggle softly as you embrace her as well before pulling away.

"Nothing really, just thought I'd drop by" you answer before going to sit on a stool in front of one of the tables. Mrs.Lovett smiles warmly "Well its always a pleasur' to see your pretty littl' face around here, dearie" she insists before going back to her cooking table.

"So any new customers lately?" You asked you look around the bakery noticing the lack of people in the shop and the slight dust covering every seat available which is....all of them.

Mrs.Lovett sighs before shaking her head and pursing her lips with a pout and taking the wooden spoon covered in slimy pie filling out of the bowl she was mixing in "Unfortunately I 'aven't been gettin' the business I need to continue ma' bakery." She says sadly before she brightens up moving her slime covered spoon fast enough to cause the filling to drop to the floor across the room "Bu' I just found some new supplies that I think'll work just fine for me darlin'." she says smiling brightly although you were mighty curious to know what kind of ingredient she could have possibly used to make her pie's. Mrs.Lovett hasn't bothered to change her recipe in a few years, you wondered what could have been the change or cause for inspiration.

Thud.

You look up in surprise jumping as you hear the sound before narrowing your eye's in confusion, you look back down at Mrs.Lovett who has her eyes on the ceiling "What was that?" You asked her curiously standing to your feet.

Mrs.Lovett seems to mix the filling of her pie faster before looking back to down to her bowl of slime "It's jus' a new barber in town, dearie. He's goin' to be rentin' out the space for a while" she answers you eyeing you carefully as she beats the dough for the pie with the rolling pin.

You frown sadly before nodding and going for the door "Congrats on the new tenant, Mrs.Lovett's. I'll be seeing you around" you whisper absent-mindedly as you drift off before digging into your pocket and pulling out a few coins and laying them on the table "Two Pies please. I'll pick them up before the day's out" you say before turning to smile softly only for it to fade quickly.

"I'll see ya lata' dear, I'll have those piping hot and ready for ya before sun down" She shouts to you before you exit the shop and glance up towards the usually empty shop above her bakery.

A deep yearning suddenly overcame you, your husband had worked in that shop once, earning a living for the both of you. He was a gentle man who had never done harm or cause anyone to look at him in anger or disdain. He was a beautiful and loyal man that should still be here in London with you...

You look away from the shop above quickly and cross the street quickly hardly bothering to check if there was a coach coming to run you down with his horses, as you came to the other side of the street. You enter the medical shop and greet the shopkeeper with a gentle smile before going to the back.