Chapter 8

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk.

You suck in a breath as a handful of apples fall from your basket, harmlessly hitting the wooden patch in front of the merchant's Apple Stand. Your gaze drops to the fallen fruit below for a brief second only to bounce back to the male standing off to the corner of the Market. He wore a lazy, half-hearted grin on his greasy face along with a gloved hand brushing the front of his face before he sneezed his eye's closing for only a moment.

As you lean down to retrieve your produce, a pair of booted feet turn digging into the floor beneath them causing the soil around it to cave in. The right heel of the person's boot begins to rise signifying it's departure however, your hand moves forwards, without looking up from your now bruised apple skin, your fingers wrap around a handful of the figures pants leg quickly before the man welding it can leave.

They pause before their heel is buried into the ground once more. You sigh shakily before straightening as you lift yourself from the ground to come side by side with Sweeney Todd once more, smiling at the merchant apologetically before paying your total.

While taking your basket of fruits in hand, you jump slightly as you feel a hand around your arm. You turn before smiling instantly seeing Toby, the small boy who had started working with Mrs.Lovett, looking up at you with a grin on his face.

He held up a shiny new penny to your face, your thoughts immediately drifted to Pirelli. The young barber who used to own the small stage in the middle of the market that was now being torn down from lack of a performance. You had learned only a few hours ago that he had died under Sweeney's blade, something you didn't know how to feel about. You however felt no remorse, for he may have been young but he was a horrid young man, treating Toby, the small boy who had been under his care and abuse for some time, as if he were a common servant instead of a companion. And even a servant deserved more respect than how the small boy had been treated.

You had met Toby a few years back, he was running errands for the other children at the workhouse. Finding a few fallen pennies in the filthy streets of London, he had snuck out to buy the other starving children some delicious toffee's. Tired of choking down slop for the last few years, he risked a whipping for the delicacy of a chocolate.

You held your shawl tighter to your chest for warmth as another winter breeze blew past whipping a few hair strands back away from your face. The frigid winds were like dozens of little pins sticking into your face at the same time until the winds died down before starting the torture again with another violent thrust of air. You we're on an errand for your boss, the pharmacy had run out of mint leaves for the dental patients in the back. Although the stock had been empty for a few years only until recently a man known as David Pirelli had taken a rather peculiar interest in frequent appointments.

You couldn't put your finger on how to the male looked so familiar too you, you didn't have time to think about it as well as you'd like as you came to the crowding market. The marketplace was always full by noon even if most produce was better to get before eight a.m. at most.

I came to the usual farmer, Mr.Gladys. A kind, old man who stops by the market every Thursday in hopes of people buying his usual products. He lives a little ways down stream and sells his merchandise and goods by the roadside, sometimes with no problem. He gives you a wide grin excited to see who may be his first customer "Ah, Lovely (y/n)!" He praises taking your hand in his own nimble one with gratitude before pulling back to display his countless grown goods "All fresh and ready. What shall it be today? Bell sprouts? Peppers? Radishes? Maybe even Tomatoes? Oh! How about my favorite?" He reached into his cart and pulled out a brown box and set it down on the narrow desk. He opens it to reveal two dozen beautifully wrapped and intricately designed on the crust, Toffee's. Your eye's lit up peering down at the delectable sweets "Toffee's! Oh they look ravishing!" You exclaimed before pulling out three shiny bronze pennies.