s i x

The asylum didn't scare Tahlia anymore

The eerie feeling of something crawling it's way down her skin, the noir atmosphere that personified madness in itself - none of it bothered her, it seemed.

In fact, she almost didn't notice the cold air enveloping her body, as she stepped into room 159 this time.

She hated to admit it, but she was becoming used to it.

Losing her sanity, fragment by fragment.

"Good evening Natalia."

Instead of sitting on his bed like previously, she was greeted by a seated muscular form at the desk.

Unlike everything else, her name spoken in his raspy, daunting voice didn't fail to disorient her just like it had always done. That's something she could never get used to.

She sat down slowly, trying her level best to ignore how dry her throat had gotten all of a sudden, fingers braced against the red button.
She refused to look him in the eye. She just refused.
Maybe it was the fear of possibly seeing a feral entity in those eyes, waiting for the right opportunity to pounce and tear it's canines into an unsuspecting soul.

With hands still trembling in the slightest little motions, she turned on the voice recorder.
"Hello Mr. Hunt. Did you eat well?"

A bone-chilling chuckle escaped the mouth of the man sitting across from her.

"I think we've been over this, Natalia." He drew himself forward, "No games."

The irony in his words might have made Tahlia laugh hysterically, only if it wasn't for the deathly fear in the rift of her stomach. Instead, she kept her eyes glued down to her file.

"When did you first feel the compulsion to-"

"That's not what you want to ask me." He cut her off before she could even complete the question, mouth set in a cold, firm line.

"Yes, but this is what I need to ask. This is a legitimate assignment we're talking about, Mr. Hunt." Not your blasted mind games, she added mentally.

The pep talk she had spent an hour giving herself, seemed to have worked. She held her courage, taking pride in the fact that she hadn't stuttered once in his presence.

"Now," She emphasized again, "When did you first feel the compulsion to.."

Kill, she paused to say.

"...Violate laws?"

He looked straight into her eyes, no words spoken, merely smiling.
"As long as I remember existing."

Tahlia only hoped that the silence in the room wasn't too lucid for him to have heard the gulp in her throat.

As long as I remember existing