t w e n t y - f i v e

If there was a revelation that Tahlia Faith Meyers had had very early on in life, it was that mirrors are wicked good liars

She wished with all her heart that she'd forget, but she couldn't.

Time was not powerful enough an eraser, to make her forget the vivid manner in which her mother sat in front of the broken vanity mirror, and brushed her sienna tresses with a wooden hairbrush.

Tahlia was merely a little girl who could do nothing but watch as the speckled mirror reflected back a pale but beautiful visage with big hazel doe-eyes and lipstick tinted red lips.

The mirror encapsulated a struggling single mother with two daughters, who worked her heart off to provide for her family and keep them safe.

But then, the mirror was wrong.

It failed to capture the malice that brewed in the woman's heart, the bruised knuckles that came from thrashing her children like rag dolls, and of course, the various strains of cocaine and heroin coursing in her veins.

The mirror only showed what Deborah Lilith Meyers wanted everyone to see.

With that memory fresh in her head, she wondered whether the world itself was a giant mirror. Whether we saw only what other people want us to see.

Tahlia stood tacitly in front of the place that had started it all. The root of her ruination.

Westerly Sanatorium for the Clinically Insane.

Very few things had changed about the place since the last time she'd been there.

The heavy air that surrounded the institution, the silence that perpetuated its vicinity, all of it remained intact.

Except the fact that it was now all shut down, of course.

The entry to the asylum was sealed close with yellow caution tape, and thus she presumed the back gate to have met the same fate too.

The patients had all been transferred to other institutions since Westerly was permanently closed, the general public being told that it was due to maintenance issues.

They only saw what they were being made to see.

"Michelle." Tahlia spoke as she spotted her walking up towards herself.

Michelle stood beside her with a solemn look on her face. Tahlia could tell that being here wasn't easy for her.

That makes the two of us, she thought to herself.