t w e n t y - s i x

"Hi, am I speaking to Shanice Williams?"

Tahlia's voice flowed, laced with the most honeyed tone possible, her fingers anxiously twirling themselves around the plastic cord of the payphone.

"Yes this is she."

"Yeah hi, I was calling to ask about one of the people you had rented your apartment out to, his name was Jordy Miller."

"Who am I speaking to again?"
The lady's voice came out chary, making Tahlia bite down on her lower lip, before exhaling sharply to speak her lie,

"I'm his niece Jess. I was wondering if I could swing by the place to pick up some stuff."

"Oh? I didn't know Jordy had any family."

"Yeah, he was..kind of a..a private person." Tahlia blurted, "So is it okay if I come by this evening? I'm not in town for too long."

"Sure hun, drop by at 6, we'll see." 

Muttering a small thanks, Tahlia hung up the phone quickly, her gaze lingering over the speaker for a second.

Between lying to the police, to her friends, to Michelle and now this; Tahlia was pretty sure she was on her way to becoming a pathological liar.

But then, her quest for the truth was proving to be way too consuming to be held back by small things like that, especially considering how she hadn't had a wink of sleep in the last however many months as she could remember. She was lagging behind in her studies, and her health was probably at an all time low. The truth was the only thing that could quite possibly be her only saving grace in ruinous times like this.

And it so happens to be that the path to the truth is paved with lies.

Finally exiting the booth, she made her way back into the bookstore adjacent to the payphone swiftly, hoping not to run into Chuck the clerk.

But there he stood, arms crossed, behind the counter in her place.

"You know, I'm not paying you to take extended bathroom breaks." He said sardonically. "The new shipment is not just going to arrange itself on the shelf."

Tahlia nodded her head promptly, "I-I'll be right on that."

"Yeah you better. Listen, something's come up, I'm leaving. Don't forget to lock up after you." He said begrudgingly.

Tahlia could only let out a small sigh of exasperation. With that, she briskly walked over to the cardboard boxes kept neatly aligned under a pair of empty shelves.

As soon as her hand brushed over the sealed box, she couldn't help but flinch inadvertently.

Memories of her opening a similar cardboard box only to be met by the sight of a mangled animal, creeped up her shoulders, twining it's lecherous limbs around her lungs as if.