t w e n t y - s e v e n

The floor creaked faintly, the weight of Tahlia's footsteps, as gentle as they were, failing to prevent the sound from resonating in the perpetually silent night

With only a plastic bottle in her hand, she walked down the soulless hallway, her eyes having barely adjusted to the brilliant ceiling lights illuminating the otherwise dark dormitory.

It was merely eleven minutes ago, that she'd jostled awake from yet another nightmare. Only this time, instead of getting stabbed by a hundred needles or having to face her dead family, Tahlia found herself back in the Asylum. Back to that night.

She saw him.

"I don't feel guilt, I don't feel remorse, I don't feel pain, no happiness, nothing."

In her memory, Logan's face was soft and warm. His cerulean eyes, sparkling with nothing but candor.

This wasn't Logan Hunt, the Westfield Ripper.

This wasn't Logan Hunt, a clinically insane man bound in the psych ward.

"But I'm feeling this"

As his pillowy lips touched hers, she realized this was the Logan that had fucked all of her mind up.

And what made this particular recollection an unnerving nightmare, was perhaps the fact that she couldn't escape the part where she kissed him back. Ardently. Her lips moved in stellar sync with his, a flare of sublime desire moving down her shoulder. She was giving into him, her mind free from every reservation she ought to have had.

And then she got stabbed.

Naturally Tahlia woke up, all out of breath and oddly, hot.

She reached for the bottle of water kept on the nightstand, sighing as she realized she'd downed all of it along with the last bit of pills she had left, before she went to sleep.

So there she was, half-asleep, slugging her way to the water faucet at the end of the corridor.

The silence in the building was so acute, that even the paltry sound of water trickling down into the bottle seemed to echo throughout the space.

Even three weeks ago this would have been very unusual, the fact that it was only 1 AM, yet there was not a single young adult out and about in the campus. But then, it's not everyday that the truth about an unhinged serial killer escaping comes out in the open.
With that French girl's body being found and the Asylum being shut down, it didn't take long for reporters and budding conspiracy theorists to put two and two together. The police and administration had no choice but to divulge the truth to the public.

Between young activists calling out the government for it's negligence and budget cuts, and the police department being scrutinized for it's incompetence; an entire can of worms had been kicked opened.