Chapter Seven: Blueberry Muffins

Joshua Lackowski would not see another day.

I let him know by making long finger cuts across my own neck. Like always, he wasn't impressed and simply sat back into his seat. Accomplished was the only word I could use to describe him.

"...Are you going to answer me, Lilly Fenster?" My mother demanded from the other side.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

My mind became a jumbled mess as I thought of a way to get out of my predicament. The solution came to me as I was scanning the room.

"Uh, see... that....was...." I jumbled for the right words, awkward seconds passing me by.

"...The person in the room next door!" I yelled excitedly.

I banged my fist against the wall for emphasis, hoping my mom would buy it. I didn't anticipate the people to bang back and yell insults from the other side of the wall, though. I hurried to hang up when an unknown woman started to yell at me for waking her up.

Whoops.

"Hey! Cut it out over there!"  I tried to yell over the woman.

I took special enjoyment when I saw Joshua's mouth pop open in surprise.  Didn't think I could get out of that one, huh?

"People can be so rude these days!" My mom commented.

"Tell me about it," I said seriously.

"Anyway, it's pretty late so I'll talk to you later, Mom," I finished quickly. Not wasting time waiting for her response, I hung up.

The room was deadly silent as I let out a relieved gust of air. When my eyes made contact with Joshua's I could tell he knew how bad he was going regret what he had just done.

I hopped onto the bed, with a new pillow in my hand, and went in for the kill. He never even saw me coming with how fast I soared to the other side of the room.

Whacking him with the pillow, I yelled, "You jerk!"

Hitting him again, I continued, "Asshole!"

Whack.

"Idiot!"

Whack.

"Fucker!"

Whack.

The interval between insults and pillow blows went on for a while. I was letting all of my anger out, until at one point I had him against the wall with his hands braced in front of his face.

The whacks came slower and slower when I realized that the sounds Joshua was making behind the pillow were laughter.

"Quit laughing!"

I yelled in a frustrated and whiny voice. Why did he find everything funny?

"Sorry, sorry!" He continued to laugh in between gasps for breath.

"It's just that you're so cute when you get mad," He laughed some more after I hit him for the last time.

Oh, no.

I knew what he was trying to do.

No one had ever called me cute, and I didn't like the feeling of having him say it. I backed up towards the bed in defense. This was all part of his plan. I was fully aware of it now.

I regained all of my composure and began to throw pillows and the top comforter on the floor in a serious manner. Feeling uncomfortable, I gave him a glance from where I now stood. The look on his face told me that he was confused. I almost thought that I imagined it, but I think I even saw some regret there.